This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Scottish, Local, and Social History
 Young and Davidson

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
billgreen Posted - 16 March 2011 : 01:28:00
Hi everybody

My ancestors in the Yetholm area were Youngs and Davidsons. I've traced them to the late 18th century. I understand the Youngs were amongst the first gypsies, presumably Romanies, to settle in the Yetholm area. I'm puzzled about the name Young and how Romany gypsies would have acquired the name. Can anybody help?

My G4 grandfather John Davidson was a shepherd in Esix Mains in the Yetholm area. Can anybody tell me anything about Esix Mains? What was it? Where was it?

Thank for any help you can offer.

Bill
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cora_bathgate Posted - 11 May 2013 : 16:02:13
Hi everyone,

I'm a relation to the youngs of yetholm, I'm only 13 & I'd love know about them. My dad can remember Bell & Ann Young. Does anyone have pictures of them or any information?

Many Thanks,

Cora Bathgate

Cora Bathgate
douglass Posted - 13 August 2011 : 17:21:50
Hi Guys,
my granny was a young from the scots borders, sisters and brothers included Currie, dave, Adam, bell, ina, jessie, lil, pearl to name a few all were born around early 1900's onwards to James young but cant remember his wife at present(must be old age!!!)
interested to find out more.

have heard an old saying that the youngs were "the muggers of yetholm" meaning poor

lol

regards
douglas ds1690@hotmail.co.uk
alicat1 Posted - 21 March 2011 : 21:51:52
Hello Bill.. my ancestors were Young's Tait's, Bailie's who were Romaine people from Kirk Yetholm. The Young's originated from Kirk Yetholm and as it goes were one of the oldest Romany families in Yetholm along with the Tait's,Farr's Baillies,etc. My Young's left and travelled south to Northumberland and my GGmother Margret Young lived and died in Bedlington she was born in Rothbury in 1834.
If you are on facebook Bill I have a group "Our Ancestors the Yetholm Gypsies" where we help each other with family stuff... you are quite welcome to come and see... Last year we had a reunion of people from all over the world who had gypsy ancestors connected with Yetholm...and in July we will be meeting again... Nils Blyth from Australia who has researched alot of our Gypsy families and history and wrote books regarding the Gypsies of Yetholm will attending.
There names I think were irrelative as most of them took other peoples name which would be the most common name to intermingle with other none gypsies to avoid persecution... Here's a website that I fond very interesting http://www.scottishgypsies.co.uk/
Speak soon
Ali Young

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000