This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Taits Hill mill?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bonnie Posted - 19 February 2012 : 15:50:05
Wondered if anyone had any info at all on wether there was or is a hosiery mill in the vacinity. I believe my great great grandad Robert Currie may have had something to do with it either manager or part owner not sure. Also any other information with regards the Currie family namely Robert b.1801 his son John b.1832 all lived in Selkirk and Galashiels.
Many thanks Bonnie
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
grapplefans Posted - 09 May 2012 : 23:36:01
i grew up at 16 taits hill which was an old hosiery factory.the factory was built in 1876.i currently live in hill street(next street down) and last weekend we pulled down the old wash house which was built for the factory and amongst the rubble and wood were some packaging labels for goods going by train and the name on the label was ROBERT CURRIE hosiery manufacturer hillside selkirk.also he had another factory in the town.smaller than the taits hill factory i believe.hope i've been helpful.get back to me if you wanted any pictures of the building.i could send you a couple of labels as well.not sure where he lived in the town but i'm sure i could find out
terianne Posted - 21 February 2012 : 21:06:34
I know what you mean - especially with the traditional naming systems in families.

But remember Currie was and is a common name in the Scottish Borders so don't limit yourself the Selkirkshire, check out Roxburghshire the adjacent county as the miles between areas can be minimal eg. Ladhope is know part of Galashiels, but was traditionally in Melrose Parish(Roxburghshire, Ashkirk has moved between both Counties,

Check out Melrose, Bowden and St Boswells areas.

You contact the Old Gala Club based in Old Gala House, Galashiels. re: your enquire about the Mills, they have a large database/knowledge and have printed many books, BFHS members also have links with them.

Anne Turnbull
bonnie Posted - 21 February 2012 : 17:18:28
Thanks much apprieciated, it can get quite confusing at times with so many Roberts Johns and Andrews in the family not to mention James.
Bonnie
terianne Posted - 20 February 2012 : 23:39:02
If you check out Scotlandspeople website you can check out the death registers to see/get a copy = (it a pay as you go site) 7 for 30 credits - check index = 1 credit per page, view copy 5 credit and viewing/copies are kept on your file.

also check out the IGI = FamilySearch.org - its a free to use website - it hold info from old parish registers and submitted family histories (best to use submitted info as a guide to official records)

also BFHS have complied the MI's for Selkirk & Galashiels on CD - you could use the research facilities thier hold - info see above links.

Anne Turnbull
bonnie Posted - 20 February 2012 : 16:13:02
Thanks for that never heard of that site. I do have their census records just wondered if anyone had any more info on them as Roberts death will states something about him being a mill owner or partner. Also would be interested if any relatives still live in that area to-day. Many thanks Bonnie
terianne Posted - 20 February 2012 : 14:35:27
Had a quick look at the 1851 census and they both appear

free site = The temporary site is here: http://maxwellancestry.com.dnpserver.com/census/default.htm

Anne Turnbull

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000