This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Flodden 1513
 Flodden and the Riding of the (Edinburgh) Marches

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Harry D. Watson Posted - 08 September 2012 : 19:50:27
The Riding of the Marches ceremony has been revived in Edinburgh, and although it "only" dates back to 1579, the organisers have managed to include a commemoration of the Battle of Flodden too.

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/riding-of-marches-promises-to-be-biggest-yet-as-number-of-riders-hits-280-1-2514652

Harry
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Harry D. Watson Posted - 10 April 2013 : 13:52:19
The Flodden commemorations are now well under way.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/arts/bid-to-find-body-of-james-iv-at-flodden-1-2884762

There is more in the print version of the Scotsman.

Harry
terianne Posted - 10 September 2012 : 22:12:43
Flodden is commerated in the border because many locals were involved and a local survivor made fletcher made his way home to selkirk to tell the townpeople what had happen and coldstream's marches borders numberland and only a few miles from flodden

Anne Turnbull
Harry D. Watson Posted - 10 September 2012 : 21:47:53
It's strange the way that Flodden is commemorated in places like Coldstream and Selkirk in the Borders, and as far north as Edinburgh, which is not far from the Border, but it doesn't seem to be commemorated beyond the Forth, although there must have been men from all over Scotland in the Scottish army that day.

The village of Ceres in my native county of Fife is proud of its alleged connection with the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, but I'm looking at the index to a book about Fife villages, some of which are really ancient, and there is no entry for Flodden.

Harry
terianne Posted - 10 September 2012 : 14:08:02
the riding of the marches around Flodden is part of the Coldstream Civil Week, the callant and followers run to Flodden each year and lay a wreath.

Anne Turnbull

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000