This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Records and Other Artefacts
 Understanding a will help please.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hunbun Posted - 01 October 2012 : 11:55:32
Hi all
I have a will from my GGGgrandfather Andrew Heatlie who died in 1865 in Selkirkshire and i am struggling to understand some of it i have put some of the info below that i dont understand:
Query 1:
Romissorry note dated 4 April 1860 to Selkirk magistrates for 150
Interest thereon to date of death 5.14.8
Interest thereon of oath to inventory 1.7.11

What was a romissorry note, was it some kind of fine that he owed to the magistrates at the time of his death?

Query 2:
Deposit receipt to British linen company?
What was the british linen comany?

Query 3:
Rents of heritage due by the following tenents under executery,
Elizabeth Gardiner half years rent from martimas 1864 to whitsunday 1865 was 163?

Can anyone throw anylight on what any of the above may mean. Andrews will does go on to include other rents of heritage from various different people from around selkirk, would he have been some kind of landlord cause if he was according to his will he must of owned half the houses in selkirk.
Thanks in advance
Dawn
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chisholm Posted - 05 October 2012 : 10:00:56
The first query I would say refers to a Promissory Note, which is simply a loan ,and the note stipulates whn the principal should be repaid ,and what interst is payable.
British Linen Company looks like a bank or some financial instituion, maybe a spin off from the core business, but you will find a receipt from the BLC to a Selkeik person on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1847-SCARCE-BRITISH-LINEN-BANK-CREDIT-RECEIPT-SELKIRK-/380394830501" target="_blank">eBay.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1847-SCARCE-BRITISH-LINEN-BANK-CREDIT-RECEIPT-SELKIRK-/380394830501
So the Deposit receipt would indicate that Andrew Heatlie had deposited funds with the BLC, and they have credited his account

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000