This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Records and Other Artefacts
 Propriator of houses in 1851 census?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hunbun Posted - 25 December 2012 : 16:20:04
Hi all
My 6x great grandmother was down as a 'propriator of houses' in the 1851 scotland census, she was a widow at the time, what does this actually mean, did she own houses other than her own and where could i find out more info please?
Thanks in advance
dawn
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hunbun Posted - 01 January 2013 : 15:30:55
Hi
She lived and died in Selkirk, she died in August 1855, as this was towards the back end of the year would she of still been registered. Also her son Andrew Heatlie (my 5x grandfather) who died in 1865 in Selkirk owned alot of houses in the area according to his will, any help much appreciated.
Thankyou
Dawn
epfborders Posted - 29 December 2012 : 17:05:00
Hello Dawn

Where did she live ? and was she still alive in 1855?

If she owned the houses, she would be listed in the valuation rolls which started in 1855. Before that, it would be a bit more difficult to track her down and would depend on where she lived and what records were kept there. If burgh records exist, she might be listed there.

The majority of valuation rolls have been digitised and are available to view at the National Archives. East Lothian are available to view on film at the John Gray Centre and the original books are available at the Heritage Hub for the Borders
http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/valuationRolls.asp

Hope this will give you an idea where to look next

Elma

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000