This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 John Reid 1771 Jedburgh

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jonno13 Posted - 08 February 2013 : 13:55:49
John Reid a gardener of Jedburgh died 1857 at 14 Burnwynd Jedburgh age 86. His parents are recorded as John Reid and Jeanie Turner.
There are records for the baptism of three of his children with Anne Frater: John, Margaret and George. George and his descendants were Congregationalists.
I can find no record for John 1771 birth or marriage, he appears along with George on the Militia lists and there is a possible gravestone at Jedburgh Abbey.
Nor can I trace a marriage for his parents there is however a John Reid born 1746 in Jedburgh the son of John Reid a gardener in Stuartfield Jedburgh. He has siblings Moses, Cicely and Robert who's mother is recorded as Elizabeth Turnbull.
I have searched on Ancestry, rootschat and through Hawick Heritage Hub but have hit a brickwall. I would like to be able to find if there is a link between John 1771 and John 1746 other than assumption based on fathers proffesion and take it back from there.
Can anyone help please?
Thanks

John
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jonno13 Posted - 01 August 2013 : 15:09:15
The possible grave for John 1771 at Jedburgh Abbey looks like it belongs to his maternal grandparents. George Turner late Baillie of Jedburgh and his wife Janet Patterson. No dates were given on their side of the stone but buried with them are their daughter Jean and her husband John Reid. Does anyone have any knowledge of George Turner? John Reid born 1746 parents were John Reid and probably Elizabeth Turnbull born around 1720. Any help or info appreciated.
John

John
Jonno13 Posted - 16 April 2013 : 11:24:07
The Rev William Nicol who performed the marriage of Margaret Reid and James Brown was the minister of the First United Seccession Congregation at Jedburgh from 1825. There is however a grave at the Abbey recording him as the Minister of the U.P Church at Blackfriars at the time of his death in 1858.

John
Jonno13 Posted - 07 April 2013 : 15:37:03
I have found marriage and death records for Margaret (Johns Daughter). She was married to James Brown, Mason 16/07/1834 by the Rev Wm Nicol, Jedburgh.
She died 09/06/1882 at 10 Wellington Street, Wilton. She had children James and Ann.
I have been unable to find any trace of her brother John Reid born 11/05/1806.

John

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000