This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 AUXILIARY UNITS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bala Posted - 02 October 2013 : 12:27:55
Auxiliary Units was the name given the British Resistance Organisation formed in 1940.

There were small patrols set up in GREENLAW, NEWTON ST BOSWELL and NENTHORN (and many other places). These would have consisted of about 6 or 7 locally recruited civilians who were highly trained to hamper the Germans if they had invaded by destroying stores and communications and raiding enemy headquarters. Doing anything to hinder the enemy. They would most likely have a hidden underground base.

If anyone has any knowledge of them or suspects that an ancestor may have belonged to such a group please let me know. Thank you

You can learn more about Auxiliary Units at www.staybehinds.com

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
daftpiper Posted - 15 October 2013 : 23:58:50

My Grandfather Robert J Aitchison a farm worker in his 40's, mentioned this briefly to me in the 1980's.

He was taken in a Police car (Only him & the driver) to Redford Barracks in Edinburgh where he was taught to use rifles, machine guns & pistols. He was also instructed how to use explosives to blow up bridges, railwaylines etc etc.

I can't really recall much else about what he said because it was so long ago that he told me and he has been deceased for over twenty years now.

One thing that I do recall him saying was "If the Nazi's invaded, he was to go to the local Police station during a shift change over and get all the local police officers because only they knew who was being taken to Edinburgh regularily for subversive training".

He added " I am glad the invasion never came!"

He mentioned all this one day over a cup of tea, and never spoke about it again.

:)

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000