This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Chirnside Parish, Berwickshire

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DavidPaterson Posted - 27 October 2013 : 01:06:59
I'm helping to transcribe old handwritten records into typed versions. I'm having difficulty deciphering 3 place names in Churnside parish.
I make them out to be Nows Mains; Pefferlaw or Pesserlaw; and Crabul or Crabut, against the names William Hogg, William Johnston, and James Bird, respectively, on the following website.
Can anyone help me with these place names, please?

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/horse-tax-rolls-1785-1798/horse-tax-volume-01/49
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DavidPaterson Posted - 30 November 2014 : 00:46:28
Thanks for that, Enid.
However, I stopped transcribing just under a year ago, but I know that others will have completed the task.
Enid Posted - 29 November 2014 : 14:13:04
[quote]Originally posted by DavidPaterson

I'm helping to transcribe old handwritten records into typed versions. I'm having difficulty deciphering 3 place names in Churnside parish.
I make them out to be Nows Mains; Pefferlaw or Pesserlaw; and Crabul or Crabut, against the names William Hogg, William Johnston, and James Bird, respectively, on the following website.
Can anyone help me with these place names, please?

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/horse-tax-rolls-1785-1798/horse-tax-volume-01/49
(can't read that without a subscription!)
I can only suggest - Nether Mains (S.E. of Chirnside), Castle or Old Castles (north of Chirnside) and possibly Penterguest or Peelwalls though the latter two are closer to Ayton. These from the map in Rutherfurd's Southern Counties' Register and Directory 1866. There was a 'big house' called Mains or Maines within the parish as well. The MIs of Chirnside are being recorded currently, which may give a clue but may take some time before they are available.
Enid

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000