This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Black marriage

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dot B Posted - 27 November 2012 : 00:36:33
I am looking for the marriage of William Black to Elizabeth Wilson ca. 1820. The Newcastle Courant of Dec. 16 , 1820 announces their marriage ..."lately in Kelso Mr. William Black of Ewartely Shank , shepherd to Miss Elizabeth Wilson" I have been unable to find a record of this marriage.

Both individuals were born in Scotland .. but moved to Northumberland following their marriage.

Any help ????
Dorothy
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dot B Posted - 30 January 2013 : 00:30:33
George .. Harry
Thanks so much ...
The William christened Jedburgh 1784 appears to be the child of William Black and Beatrice (Beathie) Gray married in Crailing 1777. They have a daughter Nellie as well. All names very visible in the family lines. Maybe, just maybe I am getting closer.

Map study time !
Thank you again
Dorothy
Dot B Posted - 30 January 2013 : 00:22:32
quote:
Originally posted by george goodfellow

Dorothy,

The WOODEN area ie, Wester Wooden, Easter Wooden and Upper Wooden farms, also Wooden Loch and Wooden Hill are all in the Eckford/Crailing area between Kelso and Jedburgh. On the 1863 map of Roxburghshire, Wester Wooden farm is just named Wooden. If you look at the maps on this site under Roxburghshire, then Eckford you will see Wooden Farm next to Wooden Loch.

George

george goodfellow Posted - 08 January 2013 : 20:09:31
Dorothy,

The WOODEN area ie, Wester Wooden, Easter Wooden and Upper Wooden farms, also Wooden Loch and Wooden Hill are all in the Eckford/Crailing area between Kelso and Jedburgh. On the 1863 map of Roxburghshire, Wester Wooden farm is just named Wooden. If you look at the maps on this site under Roxburghshire, then Eckford you will see Wooden Farm next to Wooden Loch.

George
Harry D. Watson Posted - 08 January 2013 : 18:31:55
There's a "Woodend" just to the north of Jedburgh. I suppose if you were born on a farm rather than in one of the Border towns you might give the farm as your place of birth rather than the name of the parish or nearest town.

Harry
Dot B Posted - 08 January 2013 : 05:25:19
Elma
Thanks so much. A marriage record 'might' lead me to the birth of the correct William Black ca.1785/84 !!!! Only the 1871 census in England expands his birthplace beyond the word Scotland .. and I think it says Wooden, Scotland. He died in 1878 in England aged 93 years.
I am leaning toward a William christened 1784 in Jedburgh.
Thank you again
Dorothy
epfborders Posted - 04 December 2012 : 14:27:13
Dorothy

Unfortunately, it all depends on the record keeping of the churches. There doesn't seem to be a record on Scotlands People. They may have been married in one of Secession churches in Kelso
All of the church records have been transferred to the Archives in Hawick and may be viewed there. Can't promise anything but if I have time next time I'm there, I'll have a look

Elma

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000