This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 James Blaikie, Blackie/Isabella Hall

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ken Blakie Posted - 08 March 2013 : 03:04:09
I have struck a very hard brickwall. I am searching the parents of James Blaikie who was married to Isabella Hall in approx 1838/1839 in Berwickshire. In the 1841 Census they are listed as "Blackie" living in Minto, Roxburghshire and James age was 20 born in Roxburghshire and Isabella aged 20 with son Peter aged 1.

My problem is that when I searched further to the 1851 Census, James Blackie now becomes "Blaike" aged 32.

The family migated to New Zealand in 1860 on the "Robert Henderson". The spelling then changes again to "Blakie".

James Blakie died on 28 Nov 1887 aged 76 years according to his headstone. If this is correct that makes his birth year as 1811.

Is there anyone out there that is searching Blackie, Blaikie or Blakie that may be able to help me???

Ken Blakie
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
barbarajoh Posted - 18 March 2013 : 14:40:34
Ken,
I have sent you an email as I know a bit about this family.

Barbara
Harry D. Watson Posted - 10 March 2013 : 19:00:52
I'm not researching the name Blackie/Blaikie as such, but a female relative married a James Blackie in Hawick in 1847, and in the later records, and the records of their descendants, the name goes from Blackie to Blaikie to Blackie again depending on who's writing it down. Of course, in the early days a lot of people were illiterate and didn't know or care how their name was being written down.

Just in case it's of interest to anybody - Jane Pettigrew (sister of my 2 x great-grandmother) married James Blackie in Hawick in 1847. In later censuses the name is sometimes spelt Blaikie, and when James died in Hawick in 1905 his name was given on the death-certificate as Blaikie. His parents' names are given as James Blaikie and Mary Hogg.

However, I discovered that James "Blackie" married Mary Hogg at Coldingham, Berwickshire, in 1820. They were "both in this parish".

Harry

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000