This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Stuartfield Jedburgh?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jonno13 Posted - 10 April 2013 : 19:23:41
John Reid was born 1746 , the son of John Reid, Gardener in Stuartfield.
Was Stuartfield a district of Jedburgh or a farm?
Thanks
John

John
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jonno13 Posted - 26 April 2013 : 16:06:40
Thanks Enid.
Its nice to get a reply. I'm trying to establish a link between John Reid 1746, born to John Reid, gardener at Stewartfield and John Reid 1771 gardener at Jedburgh. Having exhausted over avenues I'm left with occupation perhaps being handed down through generations. Getting a picture of where they may have worked and the kind of lifestyle this afforded.
Rgds
John

John
Enid Posted - 22 April 2013 : 22:02:23
Stewartfield was part of the Marquis of Lothian estates. I found a family occupying the Stewartfield Lodge 1841/1851 Census which indicates a sizable property. It's on the back road between Jedburgh and Crailing and would have been farmed as well. And yes, a property that size would employ gardeners to keep the house supplied with vegetables as well as flowers for the ladies in walled gardens. It's a fairly sheltered valley where even now there are sizeable properties. Several of the estates around that area show signs of carefully arranged trees of considerable age as if they had been in parkland so it is quite possible a bit of landscaping went on but not I think on a major scale.
Jonno13 Posted - 15 April 2013 : 23:29:42
Looks like Stewartfield is a more usual spelling. There are other records of Gardeners being employed here. What was the role of the 18th century gardener in the borders. Was it to provide plentiful and varied fruit and veg for the big house or create landscape gardens.

John
Jonno13 Posted - 15 April 2013 : 10:37:58
Col Henry Erskine was recorded as having died at Stuartfield north of Jedburgh.
Was there a big house or estate where John Reid born about 1720 was employed as gardener?

John

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000