This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.



Borders Family History Society

Society Logo


Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Thomas Murray b abt 1775 from Hutton, Berwickshire

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

 
Check here to subscribe to this topic.
   

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ellice3 Posted - 27 June 2012 : 17:11:22
Looking for information on the family/children of Thomas Murray who was born about 1775 and lived on Broadmeadows estate in Hutton, Berwickshire. Thank you.

Thomas Murray married Jean (last name unknown) on 27 Nov 1778 in Hutton according to the Hutton Parish register (1687-1803). He was a tenant at Broadmeadows and was living there according to the Farm Horse Tax of 1797-98 (Berwickshire, Vol. 2 Hutton Parish).

I've read that Broadmeadows was sold around 1817 to James MacBraire, but do not know if that means the tenants would have been forced to move or how it would have effected this Murray family.

Thomas and Jean had the following children:

John Murray b. 1779 – d. probably before 1784

Margaret Murray b. 1781 –

Marion Murray b. 1782 –

John Murray b. 1784 –

James Murray b. 1785 –

George Murray b. 1789 –

Isabelle Murray b. 1791 –

William Murray b. 1793 –
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
daftpiper Posted - 01 June 2013 : 09:20:55
Also at the new cemetery in Hutton
James Hogg of Hutton Mills
In memory of daughter Georgina Murray Hogg
Born 1st April 1884 died 4th June 1918
Also 4 infant children
Also Mary B A Murray wife of J Hogg
born 19 December 1855 died 28th May 1930
& above James Hogg born 20 November 1855
died 9th March 1940

Daft Piper
daftpiper Posted - 29 May 2013 : 12:56:22

Also, some of my distant ancestors named Hosick were tennants at Broadmeadows. They are interred at Hutton old Kirk also.
quote:
Originally posted by daftpiper

I took pictures of the Stones. I am not a good photographer, so they are not all that clear. The stone of John Murray..the infant aged only a few months is a large stone.
It was obviously meant to have other family members entered later but is untouched apart from John.
quote:
Originally posted by ellice3

Thank you! I am fairly certain that Mary Murray Scouler is the sister of Thomas Murray from my previous post.

Updated Info:
John Murray and Isobel Bogue were married 1 Jun 1748 (Parish Register, Coldingham: John Murray in the parish of Hutton & Isobel Bogue declared their profession of marriage. Thomas Murray, Edrington mains his father. Wm Bogue of Auchincraw her brother)

John and Isobel had the following children: Thomas (b 1749), William (b 1751), Isabel (b 1753), Mary (1775-78), Margaret (1756), Mary (married Benjamin Scouler), John (b 1760), James (b 1762), Elizabeth (1764), Elizabeth (1766)

Thomas (b 1749) and Jean had the following children:

John Murray b. 1779 – d. probably before 1784

Margaret Murray b. 1781 –

Marion Murray b. 1782 – I believe she married Alexander Lindsay. Descendants of Isabelle Murray knew Marion Murray Lindsay to be Isabelle’s sister, but I cannot find proof.

John Murray b. 1784 –

James Murray b. 1785 –

George Murray b. 1789 – d. 1795

Isabelle Murray b. 1791 d. 28 Aug 1873 Married Robert Turner, innkeeper in Duns.
William Murray b. 1793 – d. 22 Jun 1874 at Paddy Hall, Hutton. Married Grizzel “Grace” Johnston 9 Nov 1827 at Abbey St Bathans.




daftpiper Posted - 29 May 2013 : 12:53:16
I took pictures of the Stones. I am not a good photographer, so they are not all that clear. The stone of John Murray..the infant aged only a few months is a large stone.
It was obviously meant to have other family members entered later but is untouched apart from John.
quote:
Originally posted by ellice3

Thank you! I am fairly certain that Mary Murray Scouler is the sister of Thomas Murray from my previous post.

Updated Info:
John Murray and Isobel Bogue were married 1 Jun 1748 (Parish Register, Coldingham: John Murray in the parish of Hutton & Isobel Bogue declared their profession of marriage. Thomas Murray, Edrington mains his father. Wm Bogue of Auchincraw her brother)

John and Isobel had the following children: Thomas (b 1749), William (b 1751), Isabel (b 1753), Mary (1775-78), Margaret (1756), Mary (married Benjamin Scouler), John (b 1760), James (b 1762), Elizabeth (1764), Elizabeth (1766)

Thomas (b 1749) and Jean had the following children:

John Murray b. 1779 – d. probably before 1784

Margaret Murray b. 1781 –

Marion Murray b. 1782 – I believe she married Alexander Lindsay. Descendants of Isabelle Murray knew Marion Murray Lindsay to be Isabelle’s sister, but I cannot find proof.

John Murray b. 1784 –

James Murray b. 1785 –

George Murray b. 1789 – d. 1795

Isabelle Murray b. 1791 d. 28 Aug 1873 Married Robert Turner, innkeeper in Duns.
William Murray b. 1793 – d. 22 Jun 1874 at Paddy Hall, Hutton. Married Grizzel “Grace” Johnston 9 Nov 1827 at Abbey St Bathans.


ellice3 Posted - 29 May 2013 : 04:04:39
Thank you! I am fairly certain that Mary Murray Scouler is the sister of Thomas Murray from my previous post.

Updated Info:
John Murray and Isobel Bogue were married 1 Jun 1748 (Parish Register, Coldingham: John Murray in the parish of Hutton & Isobel Bogue declared their profession of marriage. Thomas Murray, Edrington mains his father. Wm Bogue of Auchincraw her brother)

John and Isobel had the following children: Thomas (b 1749), William (b 1751), Isabel (b 1753), Mary (1775-78), Margaret (1756), Mary (married Benjamin Scouler), John (b 1760), James (b 1762), Elizabeth (1764), Elizabeth (1766)

Thomas (b 1749) and Jean had the following children:

John Murray b. 1779 – d. probably before 1784

Margaret Murray b. 1781 –

Marion Murray b. 1782 – I believe she married Alexander Lindsay. Descendants of Isabelle Murray knew Marion Murray Lindsay to be Isabelle’s sister, but I cannot find proof.

John Murray b. 1784 –

James Murray b. 1785 –

George Murray b. 1789 – d. 1795

Isabelle Murray b. 1791 d. 28 Aug 1873 Married Robert Turner, innkeeper in Duns.
William Murray b. 1793 – d. 22 Jun 1874 at Paddy Hall, Hutton. Married Grizzel “Grace” Johnston 9 Nov 1827 at Abbey St Bathans.
daftpiper Posted - 28 May 2013 : 19:02:35


Here lies the corps of John Murray son of Thomas Murray
who died at Broadmeadows 2nd January 1786 aged 5 months

-------------------------------------------------------

Dorothy Wakenshaw wife of Robert Murray
died ?????
Robert Murray died 1817
-----------------------------------------------------
Mary MURRAY WIFE OF Benjamin Scouler a portioner in Paxton
died 26th May 1817 age 58
also James Scouler their son died 15th March1819 age 21
Also said Benjamin Scouler died 3rd January 1831 age 81
--------------------------------------------------------------

Was at Hutton on Sunday

Daft Piper
daftpiper Posted - 28 May 2013 : 18:47:02
quote:
Originally posted by ellice3

Thank you for the information! It has helped me to eliminate one line of Murrays in my search. This is not William Murray born 1793 who is the son of Thomas and Jean Murray. He married a Grizzel “Grace” Johnston on 9 Nov 1827 at Abbey St. Bathans.

I am trying to find the family of my 4 times great grandmother: Marion Murray b. abt 1782. She married Alexander Lindsay. Their first child was born at Ladyswell, the rest at Bunkle. Thomas and Jean Murray’s daughter Marion that I listed in my original post is the most likely candidate so far.

Alexander and Marion Murray Lindsay (and several of their children) emigrated to Ontario, Canada around 1832 with other Duns area families (Thomas and John Haig/ William, Thomas, John and Robert Waldie/George Mitchell). Three of Marion and Alexander’s children remained in Scotland: Jane Lindsay (married William Jack), Robert Lindsay (married Magdelene Craig) and John Lindsay (married Euphemia Hay).

The William Murray whose tombstone you photographed married Janet Clark (according to the Hutton Parish registers) on 4 Dec 1818. I think the death date of 1888 you said was hard to read on the headstone might be 1868. They had seven children that appeared in the Hutton parish register:

John b. 24 Jul 1820 (married Elisabeth Cummings and had several children: William, Margaret, Janet, Sarah, Eleanor/Ellen, Mary, Elisabeth and John)

George b. 28 Jul 1822 (married Elisabeth Forsythe on 30 Dec 1844 and had several children: Barbara, William, Janet, James Clark, Margaret, George and Robert)

Sarah b. 29 Aug 1825 (If the date on the tombstone is 1832 – not 1882 – then this is the same Sarah as the one in your notes.)

James b. 6 Apr 1828

James b. 21 Mar 1829 (Married Georgina and had several children: Jane Clark, William, John G., Joseph H., Allan James, David, Beveridge, and Mary Ann.)

Margaret b. 17 Feb 1830

Margaret b. 30 Dec 1830

Thanks again - I'll keep searching!


quote:
Originally posted by daftpiper

There are some Murrays interred at the Old Kirk in Hutton.
I only recorded one of them though.
William Murray
Inn Keeper Paxton
Died March 1888? aged 82
Daughter Sarah died 12th September 1882 age 7 yrs
Wife Janet Clark wife of above William Murray
Died 19th December 1872 aged 79?

Stone is hard to read from the photo I took.

Daftpiper


quote:
Originally posted by ellice3

Looking for information on the family/children of Thomas Murray who was born about 1775 and lived on Broadmeadows estate in Hutton, Berwickshire. Thank you.

Thomas Murray married Jean (last name unknown) on 27 Nov 1778 in Hutton according to the Hutton Parish register (1687-1803). He was a tenant at Broadmeadows and was living there according to the Farm Horse Tax of 1797-98 (Berwickshire, Vol. 2 Hutton Parish).

I've read that Broadmeadows was sold around 1817 to James MacBraire, but do not know if that means the tenants would have been forced to move or how it would have effected this Murray family.

Thomas and Jean had the following children:

John Murray b. 1779 – d. probably before 1784

Margaret Murray b. 1781 –

Marion Murray b. 1782 –

John Murray b. 1784 –

James Murray b. 1785 –

George Murray b. 1789 –

Isabelle Murray b. 1791 –

William Murray b. 1793 –





ellice3 Posted - 21 April 2013 : 16:37:58
I only researched William and Janet Murray to the point where I could determine I am not related to them. Sorry, I have no further info.
aramis Posted - 28 March 2013 : 16:13:42
I've just joined the Borders Family History Society, having recently researched my ancestors as far back as William Murray and Janet Clark. I googled their names and came up with this thread, which seems to refer to them. Any further information, further back, forward or sideways appreciated!
ellice3 Posted - 27 July 2012 : 15:37:19
Thank you for the information! It has helped me to eliminate one line of Murrays in my search. This is not William Murray born 1793 who is the son of Thomas and Jean Murray. He married a Grizzel “Grace” Johnston on 9 Nov 1827 at Abbey St. Bathans.

I am trying to find the family of my 4 times great grandmother: Marion Murray b. abt 1782. She married Alexander Lindsay. Their first child was born at Ladyswell, the rest at Bunkle. Thomas and Jean Murray’s daughter Marion that I listed in my original post is the most likely candidate so far.

Alexander and Marion Murray Lindsay (and several of their children) emigrated to Ontario, Canada around 1832 with other Duns area families (Thomas and John Haig/ William, Thomas, John and Robert Waldie/George Mitchell). Three of Marion and Alexander’s children remained in Scotland: Jane Lindsay (married William Jack), Robert Lindsay (married Magdelene Craig) and John Lindsay (married Euphemia Hay).

The William Murray whose tombstone you photographed married Janet Clark (according to the Hutton Parish registers) on 4 Dec 1818. I think the death date of 1888 you said was hard to read on the headstone might be 1868. They had seven children that appeared in the Hutton parish register:

John b. 24 Jul 1820 (married Elisabeth Cummings and had several children: William, Margaret, Janet, Sarah, Eleanor/Ellen, Mary, Elisabeth and John)

George b. 28 Jul 1822 (married Elisabeth Forsythe on 30 Dec 1844 and had several children: Barbara, William, Janet, James Clark, Margaret, George and Robert)

Sarah b. 29 Aug 1825 (If the date on the tombstone is 1832 – not 1882 – then this is the same Sarah as the one in your notes.)

James b. 6 Apr 1828

James b. 21 Mar 1829 (Married Georgina and had several children: Jane Clark, William, John G., Joseph H., Allan James, David, Beveridge, and Mary Ann.)

Margaret b. 17 Feb 1830

Margaret b. 30 Dec 1830

Thanks again - I'll keep searching!


quote:
Originally posted by daftpiper

There are some Murrays interred at the Old Kirk in Hutton.
I only recorded one of them though.
William Murray
Inn Keeper Paxton
Died March 1888? aged 82
Daughter Sarah died 12th September 1882 age 7 yrs
Wife Janet Clark wife of above William Murray
Died 19th December 1872 aged 79?

Stone is hard to read from the photo I took.

Daftpiper


quote:
Originally posted by ellice3

Looking for information on the family/children of Thomas Murray who was born about 1775 and lived on Broadmeadows estate in Hutton, Berwickshire. Thank you.

Thomas Murray married Jean (last name unknown) on 27 Nov 1778 in Hutton according to the Hutton Parish register (1687-1803). He was a tenant at Broadmeadows and was living there according to the Farm Horse Tax of 1797-98 (Berwickshire, Vol. 2 Hutton Parish).

I've read that Broadmeadows was sold around 1817 to James MacBraire, but do not know if that means the tenants would have been forced to move or how it would have effected this Murray family.

Thomas and Jean had the following children:

John Murray b. 1779 – d. probably before 1784

Margaret Murray b. 1781 –

Marion Murray b. 1782 –

John Murray b. 1784 –

James Murray b. 1785 –

George Murray b. 1789 –

Isabelle Murray b. 1791 –

William Murray b. 1793 –



daftpiper Posted - 25 July 2012 : 22:22:52
There are some Murrays interred at the Old Kirk in Hutton.
I only recorded one of them though.
William Murray
Inn Keeper Paxton
Died March 1888? aged 82
Daughter Sarah died 12th September 1882 age 7 yrs
Wife Janet Clark wife of above William Murray
Died 19th December 1872 aged 79?

Stone is hard to read from the photo I took.

Daftpiper


quote:
Originally posted by ellice3

Looking for information on the family/children of Thomas Murray who was born about 1775 and lived on Broadmeadows estate in Hutton, Berwickshire. Thank you.

Thomas Murray married Jean (last name unknown) on 27 Nov 1778 in Hutton according to the Hutton Parish register (1687-1803). He was a tenant at Broadmeadows and was living there according to the Farm Horse Tax of 1797-98 (Berwickshire, Vol. 2 Hutton Parish).

I've read that Broadmeadows was sold around 1817 to James MacBraire, but do not know if that means the tenants would have been forced to move or how it would have effected this Murray family.

Thomas and Jean had the following children:

John Murray b. 1779 – d. probably before 1784

Margaret Murray b. 1781 –

Marion Murray b. 1782 –

John Murray b. 1784 –

James Murray b. 1785 –

George Murray b. 1789 –

Isabelle Murray b. 1791 –

William Murray b. 1793 –


Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000