This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Pringle

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eebmoc Posted - 12 October 2011 : 14:57:51
I am helping my friend Christine with her family tree and we have come upon an interesting dead end.
Christine's GGG Grandfather Walter Pringle born abt 1809 in Roxburghshire died 1867 Edinburgh. On his death certificate it states his father is Norman Pringle Major HM Army Mother Isabella Gray Grocery Shopkeeper (deceased).
Walter married Margaret Parker born 1812 in Hull and their 3rd oldest child, a son William was born in Stitchel, Roxburghshire abt 1839. We can find no trace of an Isabella Gray and the only Major Norman Pringle we can find is Major Sir Norman Pringle of Stitchel who we know married Anne Steuart in 1826 in Edinburgh.
Can anyone throw some light on this?

Elaine Combe
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hoppringill Posted - 22 October 2013 : 15:45:25
Elaine,

Thank you for your response.

I have information which I hope will be of interest to your friend. I am interested in where this might lead, perhaps communicated privately.

James
eebmoc Posted - 15 October 2013 : 16:40:53
Would be grateful for any information you can give us.

Elaine Combe
hoppringill Posted - 15 October 2013 : 16:29:04
If you are still interested in the topic, I may be able to give some additional information, Norman Pringle was my great-great-grandfather.

James Pringle
eebmoc Posted - 13 October 2011 : 19:56:53
Hi Anne, Thanks for your reply, the Pringle Baronetcy is well documented and Sir Norman was only married once. We cannot find Walter in the 1851 census although we have his wife and family and his wife is marked as head of the family. Walter appears again in the 1861 census and dies in 1867. There is no sign of Sir Norman and family in 1851 in Scotland or England.
Our feeling is that Walter was illigitimate.

Elaine Combe
terianne Posted - 13 October 2011 : 16:57:41
HAD A QUICK LOOK FOR YOU

You seem to be on the right track, but may best to look in the Edinburgh area

if walter was a shoemaker - census 1841 south leith walter and his family match your info - (don't worry about the look of Margaret's name it written Marg does look like Mary)

as for Norman if you look at the 1841 census Edinburgh age 50 Anne Stewart his wife is 30 (married 1836) this suggests she is his second wife about same age as walter.

If you look update the 1851 census for those area you may find them and get more info.

Hope this helps

Anne Turnbull

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000