This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 West Church Selkirk

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ThorngroveManor Posted - 06 December 2013 : 07:06:51
I am searching for any information on the West Church formerly in Ettrick Terrace Selkirk and the Sim family. The stained glass windows in the church were dedicated to the glory of God and in memory of Ella Hunter Sim married in 1889 and died in 1929.

'HE THAT SOWETH T O THE SPIRIT / THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS / SHALL OF THE SPIRIT REAP LIFE EVERLASTING', 'A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH FROM HER MARRIAGE IN 1889 TILL HER DEATH IN 1929'.

The pieces of the windows we have are amazing, the full set was even more spectacular. Any information on the family or the church is appreciated. I am searching for any information on the West Church formerly in Ettrick Terrace Selkirk and the Sim family. The stained glass windows in the church were dedicated to the glory of God and in memory of Ella Hunter Sim married in 1889 and died in 1929.

'HE THAT SOWETH T O THE SPIRIT / THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS / SHALL OF THE SPIRIT REAP LIFE EVERLASTING', 'A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH FROM HER MARRIAGE IN 1889 TILL HER DEATH IN 1929'.

The pieces of the windows we have are amazing, the full set was even more spectacular. Any information on the family or the church is appreciated.

nydia
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alan Posted - 06 January 2014 : 22:42:05
PHOTOS AND DETAILS OF THE west church and Isabella Hunter SIM nee Ballantyne being forwarded thisweek
alan
ThorngroveManor Posted - 15 December 2013 : 04:46:55
Alan mentioned the local woollen mill known as Sims Mill-does it still exist-if so I will look on Google earth.

nydia
alan Posted - 11 December 2013 : 21:00:35
the West Kirk is a bit of a mess. A house was built on part of the remains but not to the standard required by the local Council so can only be rented out by the owner/demolisher who also made a mess of demolishing St Marys kirk 100yrds up the road in Ettrick Terrace.`i doubt if you would get any answers from him.I dont see any headstone in Selkirk for E H Sim. I suspect she was part of the local woollen mill known as Sims Mill but I cant find any docs to tie anything in.Such a window may have been recorded in the local paper at the timeso maybe try the Heritage Hub at Hawick who keep old papers or possible try the Church of Scotland HQ in Edinburgh who may hold the old Kirk Records.
I have a photo of the church if you send me a PM
alan
epfborders Posted - 10 December 2013 : 20:28:11
Hello

Dr Binnie published a book on Selkirkshire churches and says that the building was demolished in 1983. The building was sold by the congregation in 1963. The congregation united with Forest United Free in 1919. The WWI memorial plaque was removed and is now in the parish church. Might be worth trying the Selkirkshire Antiquarians who might know what happened or the Borders Council - Binnie says that the local authority bought the building in 1963 and occupied it for several years. The kirk session minutes are available at National Archives or at the Hawick Archives ref CH3/1366

Elma

Elma
terianne Posted - 10 December 2013 : 00:40:08
sadly, as far as i'm the west was demolished several years ago -

if it the church near the Court house on Ettrick terrace.

the near cemetery to the church in the one just off the car park near market place - it could by an idea to check it out for the Sim's

nb: the Selkirk MI have been published

Anne Turnbull

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000