This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Records and Other Artefacts
 Mellerstain

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Barbara Wilde Posted - 09 December 2008 : 03:50:20
Does anyone know of a source of information on people living and working on the Mellerstain estate, Earlston, Berwickshire, in the 18th and early 19th centuries?

I am trying to pick some of them up from some of the Earlston Parish records that I am accessing. I would also welcome information on the operation of other such estates, since I am sure the social system of the time was fairly comparable.

Sorry I think this should be in the Places section, webmaster, and don't know how to move it!

Barbara
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hima Posted - 09 June 2012 : 10:46:01
Hi Barbara, we appear to be researching the same ancestors - maybe we should compare findings??
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara Wilde

Thank you all for the comments - I have bits and pieces from Google, but nothing about the running of Mellerstain in the past. I have just looked at NAS thankyou forum master, and may find a few snippets. I did try a direct email to the Mellerstain website, but nothing available through them. I guess its just build with very small bricks till I have something a tiny bit bigger. The danger is I'll rely on my imagination... Nil desperandum.
Barbara

Barbara W

Hima Posted - 09 June 2012 : 10:42:08
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara Wilde

Thank you all for the comments - I have bits and pieces from Google, but nothing about the running of Mellerstain in the past. I have just looked at NAS thankyou forum master, and may find a few snippets. I did try a direct email to the Mellerstain website, but nothing available through them. I guess its just build with very small bricks till I have something a tiny bit bigger. The danger is I'll rely on my imagination... Nil desperandum.
Barbara

Barbara W

Barbara Wilde Posted - 30 December 2008 : 03:57:50
Barbara

Barbara W
terianne Posted - 29 December 2008 : 22:17:03
have you asked the Mellerstein Estate direct for any - they do hold alot of documents on the history & workers on the Estate - no harm in asking

Anne Turnbull
Forum-Master Posted - 21 December 2008 : 09:57:53
There are records for some estates in the National Archives catalogue http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/, and some records in the Scottish Borders Archives and Local History Centre (catalogue not yet online).

Wardy Posted - 17 December 2008 : 16:55:05
Hi Barbara. Some bits of information about Mellerstain on good old Google.
Barbara Wilde Posted - 09 December 2008 : 20:59:57
Thanks for the encouraging information, perhaps I should be getting the Earlstone gravestone publication.
The families I am particularly trying to sort out are Christopher Brack who was Butler to Mr George Baillie of Mellarstain (he m. Mary Darling at some stage). C Brack's daughters must have had rights of upkeep cum residency since they are still there in old age (1841 Census). Elizabeth Brack b abt 1772 was my forebear, and she married Wm Stoddart, mason at Mellarstain in 1796. Her much younger sister Mary m George Wilson, aglab.
Barbara

Barbara W
Malcolm Robb Posted - 09 December 2008 : 16:11:55
I was in Earlston churchyard a few days ago and found a Purves gravestone. He was "Forester and Carpenter" to the estate in the late 18th early 19th century. I think the stone was set up by the family of Mellerstain.

I'm trying to get leads to the history of Purves Haugh or Hall, (are they two diferent things?) which is now private homes.

MJROBB

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000