This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Scottish, Local, and Social History
 Tacksman

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Desmo375 Posted - 07 December 2009 : 20:48:44
In the register of marriage between James Cockburn and Isabel Deans in 1801, his occupation is listed as Cooper and Tacksman. Have looked up 'Tacksman' and get the general drift but what would this have meant in practical terms in Chirnside in 1801?

DJJ
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Malcolm Horsburgh Posted - 09 March 2011 : 06:09:44
Given the late date and the Borders location, this reference does not appear to be to a relative holding land of a chief who has sublet the same in order to live off of rents. If this were the case, l would have expected James Cockburn to have been referred to in the same way as the landholder, that is as "so and so of x". (Refer to my paper entitled "Landlords and Tenants" in "Conference Notes: Second Australasian Scottish Genealogy Conference 2006".)

Instead, we have "cooper and tacksman", with the "cooper" description suggesting that he was of much lower status. It might therefore be reasonably envisaged that James Cockburn was a tack holder, a tenant, and probably of just a few acres somewhere within the precincts of the village of Chirnside.
jennyloves Posted - 16 August 2010 : 05:48:47
Post deleted - breach of terms and conditions.
Chisholm Posted - 10 December 2009 : 19:31:44
As a tackman he would have collected the rents around the various parts of the estate for whoever the landowner was, pocketing a slice for his troubles

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000