This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Records and Other Artefacts
 Family History

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KateLS Posted - 04 March 2009 : 21:24:51
I am trying to find a William Laidlaw born 1776 was a Joiner in 1881 in Lancashire

Can you help me?

Kate
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SteveL Posted - 31 March 2011 : 14:29:48
quote:
Originally posted by KateLS

William Laidlaw was in the 1841 census in Lancashire (outside the city of Liverpool) as a Joiner aged 65 - he was born in Scotland not England; as the letter S was put in the census papers. I did see a William Laidlaw who was born in the County of Roxburgh in a little village; in 1776.

Sorry about the incorrect census date but my brother gave me two census dates and I used the incorrect one.

Does this help anyone to get our family history progress in Scotland - I was delighted when we at last found our Scotish connection.

My brother is still not certain about my findings.

Although he has found we have a connection with Edwin Laidlaw who was an ex-pat who went over to Australia and became very important in the building of Lauceston the Capital of Tasmainia - apparently he a g.... uncle.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who might be able to help.

Kate

Hi Kate

I am directly descended from the William Laidlaw that you mention. Unfortunately I and others have so far been unable to determine the place in Scotland that he was born in, neither his parents. If you would like to get in touch I can fill you in a bit more.
Steve Laidlaw
KateLS Posted - 30 March 2009 : 12:45:38
William Laidlaw was in the 1841 census in Lancashire (outside the city of Liverpool) as a Joiner aged 65 - he was born in Scotland not England; as the letter S was put in the census papers. I did see a William Laidlaw who was born in the County of Roxburgh in a little village; in 1776.

Sorry about the incorrect census date but my brother gave me two census dates and I used the incorrect one.

Does this help anyone to get our family history progress in Scotland - I was delighted when we at last found our Scotish connection.

My brother is still not certain about my findings.

Although he has found we have a connection with Edwin Laidlaw who was an ex-pat who went over to Australia and became very important in the building of Lauceston the Capital of Tasmainia - apparently he a g.... uncle.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who might be able to help.

Kate
lochfoot Posted - 27 March 2009 : 22:55:28
Hi KateLS. I just noticed your post here and was puzzled by the dates you give. The birth does not match with the date as joiner, as they are over 100 years apart. Is there a number slip here?

William W. Wilson
terianne Posted - 11 March 2009 : 13:34:57
This request is a bit out of our area - but I checked the IGI and hit a couple of possible option

NB: never be put off by the spelling of a surname - It can change within family just depends on the person writing it down and the sound.

William Laidlaw B= 23/11/1776 Bavington Northumberland

or more promising

Wiliam Ladlow B= 02/07/1776 Kirklinton Cumberland - parents William Laidlaw & Jane Irwin M=07/11/1772

Also parts on Lancashire were in Cumberland in the old days before it became Cumbria.

Hope this helps

Anne Turnbull

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000