This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Records and Other Artefacts
 Gattonside House, Melrose

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
paddysudoku Posted - 12 January 2010 : 23:52:36
Does anyone know where any records of employees of the Maconochie family, who owned Gattonside House, might be held? My great-grandfather Robert Richardson seems to have been in their employ around 1870s, and lived with his family in the 'Boat House' along with a number of their servants.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Patrick Richardson
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
terianne Posted - 02 May 2011 : 23:00:42
Just had a look in the 1861 census - robert richardson lived a cobleheugh in Gattinside as the Fisherman his wife Margaret was born Gollopengreen, Berwickshire and his daug catherine was born in England and son John and Daug Jane Ann were born in makerstoun, roxburghshire

the Duncan family had Gattonside House 1861

Anne Turnbull
quarterscot Posted - 01 May 2011 : 01:28:30
I have just joined the forum hence its so long in replying.
I located employees at Gattonside House on the 1871 census (including my great Grandmother Margaret Bowers, a housemaid, and the same page has Robert Richardson with his wife and 7 children in the 'Old Boat House') he is described as a 'Fisherman'aged 40 and born in England.. the son of the Machonochie family is listed as living in 6 Gattonside
You may know all this by now, but i thought it worth a go.
The history of the house I found on a site called www.gattonside.bordernet.co.uk and it is now caled St Aidens an admin headquarters of a charity.

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000