This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Turnbull / Robson Families Hawick

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lzmaag Posted - 12 June 2011 : 03:18:08
Seeking info Turnbull/Robson families 1800s 51 High St Hawick, Roxburgh Scot-esp ggdad James Turnbull, merchant/distiller Tbulls Whiskey
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Turnbulls Posted - 28 November 2012 : 03:24:25
quote:
Originally posted by lzmaag

Seeking info Turnbull/Robson families 1800s 51 High St Hawick, Roxburgh Scot-esp ggdad James Turnbull, merchant/distiller Tbulls Whiskey

While searching the net to check on various listings concerning my business I came across this thread looking for information on my Great great great grandfather James Turnbull. I am the Ross Irvine you have been trying to contact. I know the original post was a long time ago but if you are still interested please feel free to contact me at ross@turnbullshop.com - I never received the emails or letter, but I note that the contact details posted by terianne were not quite correct.
lzmaag Posted - 05 July 2011 : 10:52:15
Hi Ann,

Thanks for clarifying re James Turnbull. I wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.

I have checked availability of the books recommended and the Qld State Library has two of the books and I could borrow the other under an inter-library loan.

Re Mina: Yes, I did mean that I assume she was named after her grandmother Wilhelmina. That was a 'typo' on my part. Sorry. I'll change that posting to ensure it's correct retrospectively.

All the best and thanks again for your help.

L
terianne Posted - 04 July 2011 : 14:29:03
NO my ggrandfather is not the same James as yours - my james wrote 'Hawick in bygone Days' (Born 1846) - your James is a generation before him

James Turnbull is a very common name in Hawick and the surrounding area although their may be related in the far and distant past they are different branch of the Turnbull Clan.

Your branch is still well documented in Hawick today with Turnbull's Deli and Whisky.

You mention you thought Mina was probably name after her not so it was after her pateral Grandmother Wilhemina (mina is the short form)

The general rule of thumb in the borders for naming children is after the grandparents such as the first son is named after the father's father and first daughter is named after the mother's mother then second son the mother's father and the secon daug the father's mother.

Anne Turnbull
lzmaag Posted - 02 July 2011 : 16:14:29
Thank you both for the extra information you have posted. I will follow up the books you have suggested. I'm just thrilled that the line of 'my' Turnbulls goes back to 1700s, especially in light of the fact that 3 1/2 years ago my father didn't even know his Turnbull grandparent's names, how long they had been in Australia and where they had come from.

I'm very thankful for the comment from "Hawick in Bygone Days" re the billboards etc. It seems that my ggfather William left Hawick only a few years after his father James died and I wondered if this provided the motivation for him to immigrate. I also understood that the Queensland Colonial Government advertised in Britain and European countries, but this quote has made this aspect of my ggfather's life more real to me, particularly because I am still trying to find out exactly when/how he immigrated. I was aware this his sister and her husband settled in Australia and suspected that a second brother had also made the journey. On the shipping list that includes William and Mina (named after her grandmother, I suppose) Cunningham, immediately above, is an R Turnbull which a friend here in Brisbane and I believe is brother Robert. Yet to be confirmed.

It is William's immigration that is the 'sticking point'. I am still making my way through indexes and records provided by the Queensland State Archives, Qld State Library and family history societies. Unfortunately, the name William Turnbull is not an uncommon one and it is taking time to look through all of the records and check the Williams off my list or put them aside for further research. Meanwhile, would either of you know if there are emigration records held in Scotland that I could access, preferably via the internet? Maybe I can find information about how/where he left Scotland and trace him to Australia that way.

Anne, Just to be sure ... are you saying that your ggfather and my gggfather James are one and the same?!?!?

Warmest regards,

terianne Posted - 29 June 2011 : 14:21:26
I have done some digging about my info on Turnbull's in the Roxburgh county

your line look like this

James Turnbull(Born in Castleton)married betty adamson(Born in Castleton) in castleton - had several children including John Turnbull (Born in Hobkirk) who married Wilhelmina Scott - Grocer & Wine Merchant in Newcastleton, Hawick and living at Allars Bank Jedburgh in 1851 (started the shop 51 High St Hawick) - had several children including James Turnbull who married Ann Robson (born Jedburgh) in Jedburgh 1854 had several children including William born 1861 - emigrated to Toogooma Queensland - sister Mina and brother emigrated to Brisbane.

hope this helps - I do have more info on them.

Anne Turnbull
terianne Posted - 26 June 2011 : 23:45:23
I can agree with strath that Hawick in bygone days is a good read but I'm bais as James Turnbull is my great grandfather

Anne Turnbull
strath Posted - 19 June 2011 : 01:57:35
Because I come from Hawick & have lots of my family originating from Newcastleton and it's free access to the 1841-1861 census info on
www.maxwellancestry.com
I have done a bit more digging for you.

William's father John Turnbull & mother Wilhelmina on the 1841 census were living in Newcastleton with children George,Robert, William & Walter. John's occupation Agricultural Labourer.

By 1851 they had moved to Jedburgh and he's now a Brewers Clerk and James is back living with them as a Journeyman Grocer.
So that's how James's Grocer & Spirit Merchant business in Hawick must have germinated.

There is also another child Margaret aged 8yrs born in Jedburgh.

I can't find William bc 1839 or Robert bc 1833 on the 1861 census any chance they were first out to Australia (Gold Rush?)and your
gr grandfather William b 1861 joined them.

Pure speculation but that's the beauty of research; follow hunches!
rgds Strath

strath Posted - 18 June 2011 : 03:28:26
To get some good views of Hawick, including the 1880s, visit
www.ettrickgraphics.com
51 High Street is on the other side of the street from the Town Hall
and about mid way to "The Horse" monument.

The 1927 book "Hawick in Bygone Days" coincidentally by James Turnbull b 1846 gives a lot of insight into Hawick from his childhood
until 1927.
On one page he writes:
"all the billboards and blind walls in the town were covered with notices of ships sailing to Australia"

I have a copy if you would like to borrow it.
rgds
Strath
terianne Posted - 17 June 2011 : 22:14:15
you need to read the following books there is lots on the on your branch of the Turnbull right back to the 1700's

Rulewater and its People by George Tancred (you can view a copy on Google)
Monument Inscriptions of Liddlesdale (Castleton, Saughtree etc)

they might help

Anne Turnbull
lzmaag Posted - 17 June 2011 : 17:00:06
Thank you both for your replies.
Anne, I have tried sending Mr Irvine 2 emails at different addresses with no response. I will try sending him a letter the old fashioned way and see if I can make contact.

I am keen to understand more of what my family's life was like when ggfather James began the business and what might have lead one of his sons, William, my ggrandfather, to immigrate to Australia.

As I was born and raised in the same town in which William settled and have never travelled to Scotland, I enjoy finding out what I can about the Borders and Scotland in general.

William was born in Oct 1861 and would have been in his early twenties when he immigrated. He was married twice in Australia, losing his first wife (Mary Ann GOULD) and second child (a son, Joseph Gould TURNBULL) as a result of childbirth. He and his second wife, Bridget McMAHON, went on to have 7 children. Bridget seems to have raised them almost single handedly as William died of poisoning at the relatively young age of 48 years. My grandmother, their second daughter, was 7 years old when her father died.

A contact of mine here in Australia has discovered that one of William's sisters Mina (named after her grandmother?) and her husband William CUNNINGHAM immgrated to Australia and there is the possibility that another sibling, Robert, also made the journey.
Trust this sheds more light on my enqiry and look forward to hearing from anyone who could help further.
L
terianne Posted - 16 June 2011 : 22:09:43
Try contacting Mr Irving at Turnbull's Deli at 1 Oliver Place Hawick TD9 He a desendant (John & Mira Turnbull are his Grandparents,

There is alot of photos etc about 51 High Street & Turnbull's Whisky in the Shop.

Hope this helps

Anne Turnbull
strath Posted - 13 June 2011 : 03:25:38
I used to live directly opposite 51 High St Hawick at No54 in the 1940s/early 50s. I have found James on the 1861 Hawick census aged 35yrs born in Newcastleton living at 51 High St with his family.

I'm pretty sure this is the James Turnbull b. 29/4/1825 Castleton parents John Turnbull & Minah Scott but you may have this info.

If you reply to my e-mail I'll see if I can assist.
best regards, Strath Stewart

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000