This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Pleasants farm. Jedburgh& Dalcove Mains Mertoun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cathiemay Posted - 16 March 2010 : 20:55:39
Hi,
I wonder if anyone has photo's or any information of Pleasants farm house near Jedburgh. & Dalcove Mains farm house Mertoun. My grt.grt. grandfather Thomas Storry farmed and was a blacksmith at both these places in the 1800's .
Catherine

Catherine Buss
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cathiemay Posted - 05 November 2013 : 21:14:07
Hi Stephen,
It was good to hear from you and thanks for info., about Isabella etc., Agnes & Isabella had moved to Penninghame Wigtownshire (near Wigtown) in the 1881 census. Son John was a merchant clerk at Creebridge Minnigaff Kirkcudbrightshire in 1871 and by 1881 he was married to Eliza Cowper and was a grocer in North High St Wigtown. Their daughter Susan Agnes (called after her 2 grannies).was born 1880. He had moved to Morecombe by 1901 . I suppose Robert Baillie met Isabella at Wigtown, as I am sure it said on one census he was a grocers traveller at that time. In 1871 I found Isabella Bell (after a lot of searching) visiting her grt aunt Margaret Boyd (a sister of Isabella Deans) at Newington Edinburgh. Susan Agnes Bell emigrated to Canada 1915 to marry Henry Millar who had emigrated a few years prev.,They had a daughter Elizabeth. In 1920 Susan & Elizabeth came home on a visit to England. Eventually they must all have come back to Kidderminster England. Susan marries Edward Benbow 1940 & they had 2 girls & 1 boy. What happened to all the other Baillies ? was any of them grocers?. That's really interesting that you have a photo of Isabella Deans, what does she look like?. Maybe some of the other photo's of farm workers are Stories or Bells. (if only people had thought to put names on photo's.) I had changed my e/mail address , that's why your e/mail returned. I have changed it now on this site.
Hope to hear from you sometime in the future. (I won't hold my breath)
Catherine

Catherine Buss
Baills Posted - 03 November 2013 : 14:10:47
quote:
Originally posted by Cathiemay

Hi Stephen,
I did reply to your last message by e/mail through this site, and wondered if you ever received it . I would very much like to know about Isabella Bell & her family, as I don't know anything after the 1901 census. Thanks to you I now know when Agnes Storie died.
regards Cathiemay

Catherine Buss

Catherine

by now you will have guessed I am hit and miss in my responses, tend to pick up the famiy history from time to time and have been concentrating on my mothers side. I did email you but see it has bounced back.

In you email you mention Agnes being at Dalcove Mains in the census and the memorials to John (husband) and Thomas (son) I have the black border death cards for both of them- John on 13th May 864 following a "long and severe illness". The card for Thomas gives his date as April 30 1862 aged 8 years and 6 months at Newton- the card has a very touching poem. I havent yet found a death certificate for him.
Agnes lived in Langlands Road in Govan, Glasgow- dont know when she moved- will have a look at the census returns- till she died of "senile decay" aged 94 on 14th Jan 1915. Her son, John, from Morecambe signed the death certificate. I didnt know anything alse about that side of the family.
John and Agnes daughter Isabel Deans Bell married Robert Baillie in Wigtown (did Agnes live there?) in 1881 and they lived in Glasgow where both Robert and his father William were grocers. They eventually moved to Helensbugh and Isabel died in 1924. My grandfather lived there till 1939. Their son John Bell Baillie married my grandmother Winifred Marshall. They lived in Glasgow- John was an engineer in the merchant navy and my father followed him into the navy.
I do have a number of Baillie family photos in an album but as usual none of them are named, they do include some that are farmworkers. Hoever there is one that has written under it "Grannie Storie" and I take it this would be Isabella Deans.
Stephen
Cathiemay Posted - 04 October 2013 : 20:41:58
Hi Stephen,
I did reply to your last message by e/mail through this site, and wondered if you ever received it . I would very much like to know about Isabella Bell & her family, as I don't know anything after the 1901 census. Thanks to you I now know when Agnes Storie died.
regards Cathiemay

Catherine Buss
Baills Posted - 07 September 2013 : 16:26:37
apologies for delay on responding, on holiday. While away we visited Jedburgh and went to the Pleasants- recently developed with housing where i suspect the original farm buildings were. Very little of the original farm remains. The school is still there, directly across the road, now residential. Also went to Oxnam to the church Agnes married in. Finally searching for graves in Jedburgh churchyard,limited success- couldnt find Thomas although I believe he is there. Records not good but i believe they are being redone just now. I don't have much info on other members of the family as i only recently started to look into this side of the family. Who are you related to?
Cathiemay Posted - 19 August 2013 : 23:04:47
Hi Stephen,
Sorry I only noticed now that you say you are descended from Isabella.
regards Cathiemay

Catherine Buss
Cathiemay Posted - 19 August 2013 : 22:36:53
Hi.
That's wonderful to find someone who is researching the same Stories as I am. I didn't know when Agnes had died, I had traced her through the census to Glasgow. Have you any idea what happened to her brother Adam born 1838. He disappears after 1872. I have managed to trace rest of family except for him and a sister Margaret born 1827, (I think she must have died young, but haven't found her death yet). I found an Adam Storie sailing from Liverpool to New York 1873 , he was from Scotland and a farmer. Theres no trace of him in USA or Canada. Perhaps he died on the voyage. Are you descended from Agnes daughter Isabella or son John ?. I would love to hear any information you have on any of the family.
regards Cathiemay

Catherine Buss
Baills Posted - 17 August 2013 : 13:05:13
Catherine
it would appear we are researching the same family. My GG grandmother was Agnus, daughter of Thomas and Isabel. Born 1820 she married John Bell at Oxnam in 1847 and died in Glasgow in 1915- he died 1864 at Dalcove Mains. Their daughter Isabella was my G grandmother.

Stephen
MaryS Posted - 02 October 2011 : 18:40:01
John Mather was a weaver and lived at Pleasants with his daughter Elizabeth and brother-in-law James Sanderson in the 1841 census. His other children moved to Galashiels to work in the woolen industry. The family emigrated to Canada starting in 1847 and some as late as 1855.

Interested in Mather, Nicol, Binnie, Lauder
Cathiemay Posted - 01 August 2011 : 21:33:06
Hi Mary,
I think the Pleasants must have been a small collection of houses. My ancestors the Stories were also there in the 1841/1851/1861 census. There was also a school, closed in the early 1900's. When I googled the Pleasants there was an advert for new houses for sale called the' Pleasants Steading. I wondered if they have demolished the old buildings. When did your ancestors emigrate from Scotland?.
Regards Catherine

Catherine Buss
MaryS Posted - 11 July 2011 : 20:32:27
the 1841 census shows my Mather's relatives living at "Pleasants" near Jedburgh. Could this be the same farm?

Interested in Mather, Nicol, Binnie, Lauder

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000