This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Scottish, Local, and Social History
 Borders Militia and the KOSB's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ian Campbell Posted - 18 August 2011 : 09:46:29
For those interested in Military recruitment in the borders 1798 to 1907 and the formation of the Dumfries militia / Scottish Borderers/Kings own Scottish Borderers I would recommend "The History of the 3rd Batt. Kings own Scottish Borderers" publish as a reprint by Amazon. It has some great insights into military movements and life as well as listing the names of all officers and men who served with the battalion in South Africa 1900 - 1902 plus frequent references to officers from 1798 onwards.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mary Posted - 28 February 2014 : 00:16:41
Hi Sharon

I am also interested in Charles Sanders. His father was James Sanders who was also a Dumfries Militia soldier. There are some service records at Kew

Mary
Forum-Master Posted - 03 November 2011 : 18:23:30
Some Militia records are in the Dumfries Archive and you can search it at http://archives.dumgal.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Search.tcl
terianne Posted - 09 September 2011 : 14:18:49
Not sure where exactly you would find the records but try the museum at Edinburgh Castle the staff are very helpful. My GG Grandmother's Uncle joined the Scots Greys (re Royal Scots) via the Dumfries Militia at Hawick during the Crimea War

According the my GG Grandfather memoirs the Dumfries Militia regularly recruited in the Scottish Borders especially at the Common Haugh in Hawick.

Around and after the Crimea War many of the veterans where known as Chelsea Prisoners but still lived a home not in the London Hospital recieving the similar benefits.

Anne Turnbull
sharon Posted - 08 September 2011 : 21:23:36
Hi
Does anyone know where to find the records of those who served in the Dumfries Militia? A GGG grandfather Charles Saunders/Sanders) was serving in the dumfries militia in 1820, by 1851 he is staff sergeant in Dumfries Militia, and 1861 he is described as chelsea pensioner. Checked the records for chelsea pensioners online and can not find him.
Thanks
Sharon

sharon
strath Posted - 22 August 2011 : 04:18:07
Hi Harry, I also had an ancestor of my stepfather a Walter Turnbull born 1/11/1807 in Dalkeith. His father Robert is noted as a "soldier Dumfries Militia" on his OPR birth.
You can access online the full text of the above book by the
Rev R. W. Weir formerly Minister of Greyfriar's Parish Dumfries and Acting Chaplain to the Battalion.
The book explains many details such as why and where they were quartered etc and how their families were supported with dates.
Just Google:
Kings own Scottish borderers/full text 3rd battalion
and it should be the top entry.
best regards, Strath Stewart
Harry D. Watson Posted - 21 August 2011 : 21:30:36
I had an ancestor who joined the Dumfries Militia, although I don't think he ever left Fife. They must have been stationed there at the time. Certainly his wife kept producing children in their home parish of Carnbee, near Anstruther! He is mentioned in the local parish records as being a soldier in that regiment.

Harry

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000