This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Education in Scotland 1750's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lepcanuck Posted - 23 November 2011 : 21:15:25
Hello - I am new to this forum and this subject. I would welcome any input on education in Scotland in the mid 1700's. My g.g.g.g. grandfather Andrew Cessford (also spelled Sessford) was born 1733 in Dolphingstown, Oxnam Parish, Roxburghshire, son of a Weaver. He is later found in Alston, Cumberland (Schoolmaster for 9 years), Blanchland, Northumberland (Schoolmaster for 7 years) and finally Newcastle, Northumberland,(Schoolmaster 1787 until his death in 1798). I am interested in learning "where" Andrew Cessford would have received enough education himself to teach as a schoolmaster. The subjects listed in two advertisements for his schools show he must have been very well educated. Not being familiar with research in Scotland, I would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction. Thank you.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GailG Posted - 07 March 2013 : 08:37:21
There more than that to learn about education in Scotland. Not just about education but culture.

Feel free to go over the forum ;)

-
Custom History Essays | Business, that's easily defined - it's other people's money. --Peter Drucker
lepcanuck Posted - 12 December 2011 : 04:50:01
Dear Elma,

Thank you kindly for the information you posted regarding education in Scotland in the mid 1700's. The material you provided is certainly helpful.

I found a notice for Andrew Sessford advertising his night school in Alston, Cumberland in December 1778. He states teaching of the following subjects: "Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Book-keeping, Geometry, Mensuration, Conic Sections, Artificers works, Cuaging, Surveying, Geography, Navigation, Astronomy, use of the Globes, Dealing, Algebra, Etc. according to the latest improvements".

The list of subjects seems extensive for that time period. What do you think?

Many thanks!
epfborders Posted - 06 December 2011 : 16:43:40
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Schools were widespread throughout Scotland in the 18th century, even in the remotest parishes. This was due to legislation (I've resorted to wikipedia for confirmation of some dates !)in 1633, 1646 and 1696, which required schools to be set up in every parish. The landowners paid the schoolmasters wages and maintained the school while the Kirk session looked after the standards of education in the school. Depending on the schoolmaster, the subjects taught could include Latin and other subjects beyond the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic. For Oxnam, there is a couple of entries in the Kirk Session minutes of 1721 which confirm there was a school there. The first is "Johnathon White schoolmaster and precenter here" married the daughter of a local tenant farmer. Later in the same year, the kiek session arranged to meet in the schoolhouse on a Saturday to examine the treasurers accounts.
There are a couple of inscriptions in Oxnam churchyard for school masters who must have been teaching in the late half of the 18th century

Elma

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000