This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Publications Research Maps &
Forums Other
Contacts What's
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Records and Other Artefacts
 Tenancy Records

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
daviren Posted - 16 January 2009 : 20:00:32
I have two questions:

Can Tenancy Records be obtained, from the 1800s, for farms in the Dunse/Edrom area and, if so, how one goes about it?

Is it possible to obtain additional information to that contained in the reports of cases in the Scottish Jurist, so that individuals named can be positively identified?

To explain:

I'm endeavouring to establish over what period ancestors lived at, or held tenancies, for specific addresses and whether a place and people named in Court Cases can be better identified to determine if the Cases relate to these ancestors.

For example:

Records indicate that a Walter COSSAR was tenant, Cairneyhill, Dunse when he died on 13 April 1839 and Thomas COSSAR, aged 20, was farmer, Cairneyhill in 1841 Census for Dunse.

The other property is Greenknowe, Edrom where Thomas COSSAR is shown as farmer in the 1841 Census for Edrom and an Isabella COSSAR is shown as Head in 1851 Census. A Mark COSSAR is recorded on a headstone as a farmer, Greenknowe in 1866 & died at Greenknowe in 1898.

A case reported 28 January 1847 in the Scottish Jurist, between a Thomas COSSAR and John F HOME of Wedderburn relating to the removal of the former from the tenancy at Cairnhill (Is this the same as Cairneyhill?) for non payment of rent.

There is another case reported 14 July 1847 in the Scottish Jurist between John Foreman HOME of Wedderburn against the widow of a Walter COSSAR for the non payment of rent for "... a field or enclosure called the Deer Park being part of the Estate of Wedderburn, belonging to the complainer, situated within the park wall thereof, Parish of Dunse...."

I hope someone can help me with this.


2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DavidPaterson Posted - 27 October 2013 : 00:58:18
Re Lands Tax and any other such taxes, have a look at
Forum-Master Posted - 17 January 2009 : 20:51:32
I can't tell you specifically about the Duns(e)/Edrom area - I haven't researched it.

The most used valuation rolls are lists of properties, their owners, and occupiers produced for the purposes of taxation between 1855 and 1989 by assessors in council areas.
However there are other kinds of tax records relating to property and I'd just like to mention them.

Before 1855, Land Tax Rolls had been compiled in Scotland since the early 17th century by the Commissioners of Supply, who were chosen by and from the major landowners in each county, and it was their duty to collect the land tax.

These rolls show properties (usually) over £100 Scots (£8 10s sterling), the notional annual rent, and what the owner’s taxation liability was based on the rental value.
They weren't produced on a regular basis, and many have disappeared, however until about 1750 very few owners' names were included. After that time, they usually show the owner, and sometimes the tenant or occupier.

Where the owner had changed since the last compilation, they usually listed the last owner, and the relationship between them.

Apart from individuals' names, a property with a rent of over £100 Scots was a large estate or a whole village, for example St Boswells in 1811 (£123 Scots) so they're of little use for the family history of all but the wealthiest people.

Many of these rolls can be found in the Scottish Borders Archives and Local History Centre at the Hawick Heritage Hub among the Commissioners of Supply records for each county; in other areas, records are held in local authority archives or in the National Archives.

They go under various names, for example, Sederunt; Cess and Valuation Rolls, Valuation Rolls, Valuation Lists.

Although earlier rolls were compiled by hand in ink, and presumably there was only ever one copy, in the 19th century, rolls were frequently printed.

The National Archives of Scotland are in the process of digitising valuation rolls.

I hope this helps.

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000