This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Records and Other Artefacts
 Free Presbyterian Churches near Galashiels

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MaryS Posted - 23 January 2009 : 19:06:51
Does anyone know if records exist for the Free/Presbyterian churches in and around Galashiels from 1800 - 1855? I am particularily interested in the Ladhope Free Church. Are there others in the area? I'm looking either birth/marriage/death/burial records or anything that would lead me to my lost ancestors in the area. They were weavers/farmers and as Presbyterians, where would they most likely to be buried in Galashiels? Any help would be appreciated.

Interested in Mather, Nicol, Binnie, Lauder
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Squirrel Posted - 23 December 2012 : 17:14:07
There was a free kirk near Lauder at Channelkirk. Burials took place in the kirkyard of Lauder Parish kirk in Lauder.

Hope this helps

Joh Barton
MaryS Posted - 31 January 2009 : 13:02:55
Thank you for the reply. I thought that some records might be available in Edinburgh, which for me living in Canada would require making a personal visit at great expense of find what I'm looking for.

I'm glad to hear that MI's for the area will soon be available and look forward to accessing them.

Interested in Mather, Nicol, Binnie, Lauder
terianne Posted - 30 January 2009 : 23:09:08
Ladhope was part of the Melrose Parish and only recently part of Galashiels.

The most of the Church records are held a the national archive for Scotland in Edinburgh, but the local Heritage Hub in Hawick is supposed to be getting some back to the Borders area.

Ladhope has a cemetry adjacent Haliburton Place.

The Society are currently working on the MI's for various cemetries in and around Galashiels.

Anne Turnbull

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000