This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Scottish, Local, and Social History
 Floors Castle

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FloorsCastle Posted - 06 December 2011 : 16:17:32
Here at Floors Castle, we are researching the Castle’s use as an auxiliary hospital during the 2nd World war. We have uncovered inventory lists and a couple of photos however we would like to hear from anyone who can give us more information or stories.

We would be particularly interested in hearing from anyone who had family working or convalescing here.

Kind regards

Charlotte
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Harry D. Watson Posted - 20 September 2012 : 21:45:30
Can I widen this topic out a bit by saying that the Douglas-Home estate at The Hirsel, Coldstream, was also used in WWII for patients evacuated from the Princess Margaret Rose (PMR) children's orthopaedic hospital in Edinburgh. I believe Sir Alec Douglas-Home was in the wartime cabinet, and his sister at The Hirsel was very kind to her young guests, one of whom was my sister.

Harry
myfirsthorse Posted - 20 September 2012 : 18:34:00
In answer to your posting on past employees of Floors, I have a Great Uncle who worked there after WWII. His name was James Burn Roxburgh and he lived in the right hand lodge, working as the gatekeeper. He was responsible for opening the gate to let traffic in or out of the castle. At first thr gates were opened by a large wheel then eventually by press button electric means. Will this be of any use?

Elizabeth Roxburgh Ballenger

Elizabeth Ballenger

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000