This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Scottish, Local, and Social History
 Lint industry

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marmy6 Posted - 09 July 2012 : 01:00:44
I had relatives who lived at “Lint Mill” in Ancrum. One source says “Lint Mill Cottage”. I have found only a small amount of information about the Ancrum Lint Mill and Bleach Field in a very old Border Society magazine online. I’m interested in learning more about the Lint Mill and Lint industry in Ancrum – when did it go out of operation; were there cottages for workers, are there any remains of the industry in Ancrum, etc.

Thank you!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marmy6 Posted - 12 July 2012 : 03:23:32
Thanks so much for your replies. The information I found was in a Google book, The Border counties' magazine, vol. 1-2, which was enough to pique my interest in the "Lint" industry as well as my interest in the mill and cottages where relatives lived. The book can be found at this address, if anyone is interested: http://books.google.com/books?id=i-YGAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA130&lpg=PA130&dq=lint+mill+ancrum&source=bl&ots=zMgpaRD8Xu&sig=hAC23SXx8utDGXptwWpkYC9Hd2w&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sB7-T5WXOsS_rQHawbiLCQ&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=lint%20mill%20ancrum&f=false
george goodfellow Posted - 11 July 2012 : 22:12:21
Hi marmy6

Lintmill is just West of Ancrum between Caslte Hill and the old Burial Ground - there are still buildings there but I don't know if any are occupied or just ruins - they are still on Google Maps. As far as I can see on an old 1860 map of Roxburghshire there were three mill cottages beside the mill.
I will Email you seperately

George
terianne Posted - 10 July 2012 : 22:37:40
As far as I know Lint Mill was behind the Cross Keys through the Arch - also i'm not sure if it was a mill as such, because my gr Aunt lived there in the 1920's

Anne Turnbull

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000