This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Hangingshaw House, Yarrow

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joanfox Posted - 06 September 2012 : 14:35:30
I am looking for some information regarding the Social History of Hangingshaw House at Yarrow. My GGG Grandfather John Johnstone worked there as a Gamekeeper about 1796 until he died in 1803. As far as I know the Johhnstone's of Westerhall, Dumfries bought the house around 1764. There is a gravestone in Yarrow Churchyard which was erected by his employer part of the wording reads "To the memory of a faithful servant and an honest man. The stone is erected by his grateful master". Before moving to Hangingshaw House to work as a Gamekeeper John Johnstone was a Gamekeeper at Westerhall House in Dumfries, at the time of Sir William Johnstone Pulteney (Johnstone) - he took his wife's name on marriage. I have visited numerous libraries but have been unable to find any papers etc on the house.

J Caroline Fox
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sandy Sandilands Posted - 10 September 2012 : 14:27:19
In 1691 "Hangingshaw" was in the possession of William Sandilands (according to his will).

From the little I have been able to discover the original Hangingshaw House was demolished to make way for a later one.
joanfox Posted - 07 September 2012 : 20:13:07
Thank you for your reply. You have the correct family his son James was a Forester and was born at Westerhall, Westerkirk. He is in the 1951 Census as at Hangingshaw Lodge.
quote:
Originally posted by terianne

Had a quick search under 'hangingshaw house yarrow' and a wikipedia site came up called list of listed building in yarrow, scottish borders - if you click on this you get a list just click on the relevant number and a Historic Scotland sheet comes up with the listing info on the house and a bit of history about the building

worth a try

Also did a check on the maxwellancestry.com site and i think it his son james was a hangingshaw lodge in 1841 as wood Forester and a Yarrowford in 1851 retired (born Westerkirk)

Anne Turnbull

J Caroline Fox
terianne Posted - 07 September 2012 : 14:24:14
Had a quick search under 'hangingshaw house yarrow' and a wikipedia site came up called list of listed building in yarrow, scottish borders - if you click on this you get a list just click on the relevant number and a Historic Scotland sheet comes up with the listing info on the house and a bit of history about the building

worth a try

Also did a check on the maxwellancestry.com site and i think it his son james was a hangingshaw lodge in 1841 as wood Forester and a Yarrowford in 1851 retired (born Westerkirk)

Anne Turnbull

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000