This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Minister named Dewar at Cockburnspath?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What is the sum of 4 + 3 ?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Smilie

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chiadfhear Posted - 24 September 2012 : 21:47:49
Hi there

I'm currently research a side branch of the tree and in a meeting with an elderly Dewar relation, just yesterday, she mentioned that there was a descendant who was a minister at Cockburnspath.

I've searched the Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae for him, but there's no trace. Presumably his charge is/was relatively recent.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
(Member Fife FHS)

Ay mair questions than answers in a world whaur the past wis a different place that canne be revisited
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
epfborders Posted - 26 September 2012 : 20:20:36
Hello

In Sally Smiths book, Cockburnspath - a history of a people and a place, she has a James Dewar, the minister of Cockburnspath (Oldhamstocks) Free Church from 1873 to 1877. You would also find him listed in Binnies book, The churches and graveyards of Berwickshire.

There's a photo of the church (now used as a hall) at http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=36389317&page=2. The old manse is just behind the church

Elma

Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000