This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Yetholm Mains,/Kirk Yetholm/ Auchope/Lustruther
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

judithy

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2008 :  22:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am researching Andrew Oliver, b abt 1740's in Roxburghshire, d abt 1819 at Yetholm Mains, (gored by a bull) buried at Linton Kirk Yard with wife Elspeth 1844-1829? and granddaughter Elspeth 1824-1827. I am sure more are more Olivers buried there, they were from Morebattle Parish. Thomas & Sinclair Oliver lived at Auchope near Sourhope from 1818 to 1830 when they immigrated to New York, USA.
FAMILY NAMES: Oliver, Buckham, Stuart, Cossie
OLIVER PLACES: Yetholm Mains, Kirk Yetholm, Auchope area
BUCKHAM, STUART, COSSIE, RUTHERFORD PLACES: Lustruther, Southdean parish, Maxton area, Fernichurst Mill on the Jed Water 2 1/2 miles above Jedburgh.
This is as far back as I have gotten, any help, information, history of area will be greatly appreciated.

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2008 :  23:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try Reading "Bygone Yetholm - Portrait of a Border Village" published by Yetholm History Society 2006

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2009 :  19:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Judithy. The Thomas Oliver you refer to as living at Auchope in your 30 Sep 08 topic; was he a farmer and did he marry a Janet Briggs by any chance? Ed
Go to Top of Page

judithy

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2009 :  20:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, my Thomas was married to Sinclair Buckham and was a shepherd. Can't find any Briggs in the family. You offered to send a map and a picture of Yetholm Mains to someone. Could you also send me a copy as Thomas' father, Andrew, lived and died at Yetholm Mains. Send to: jyjohnson1943@att.net. Thanks in advance.

judithy
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2009 :  18:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Judithy (but boo hoo all the same!). I tried to send you the pics but Outlook Express rejected your email address - said it didn't recognise it. Will send you a copy of ye olde 1 inch OS map tomorrow as I can't face clambering into my cold loft tonight! Ed
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2009 :  17:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Managed to send everything Judithy - there was a naughty full-stop in the way.
Go to Top of Page

KristinWanlessRunge

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2013 :  00:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings

My ancestors, George and Bessie (Cairns) Wanless, lived at Auchope Farm prior to emigrating to Canada and the U.S. in 1818. I assume they would have been the residents immediately before your ancestors. In researching the farm, I came across this reminiscence from Margaret Oliver Murray. It's quite a treasure, and she mentions Elspbeth, whom you also refer to.

If you haven't already come across this, please enjoy reading it...
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/childhood.htm

Kristin Wanless Runge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000