This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Genealogy Software
 Family Tree Maker
 Down loading to CD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic   

Alan M.

England
10 Posts

Posted - 24 January 2009 :  12:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I downloaded a tree to CD for a relative but they can't open it on their pc. I tried it on my m/c before I sent it to them and it worked ok. Does this mean that they have to have FTM loaded on their m/c to be able to view the CD.

Alan

boyd

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 24 January 2009 :  13:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what it means. One of the drawbacks to FTM. I keep all my data on a second software, ROOTS MAGIC, precisely so I can share with people who do not have FTM on their computer. Roots Magic includes operating software with any data you send like a Gedcom, tree, files, etc. I still like FTM for most things, but this problem is a downer. Good luck, Boyd
Go to Top of Page

Alan M.

England
10 Posts

Posted - 25 January 2009 :  10:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Boyd.

Alan
Go to Top of Page

brucem2000

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2009 :  04:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There seem to be two programs called Family Tree Maker - confusing!

I use the Family Tree Maker program from Ancestry (and its many other incarnations). When I was thinking of giving my data to another family member, I called their help line and was advised they didn't really mind if I gave them my program to load as well.

I hope this helps,

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

brucem2000

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2009 :  04:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Extracting for publishing.

I use FTM and it's pretty easy to get charts and simple pages for one family group. I can make them as PDFs and that's often enough for simple one family groups - the notes about each person appear by just using the Print/Family Group.

But I've been thinking of publishing a book about all the descendants for my GG Grandfather who was born in Peeblesshire. There are probably about 3,000 descendants and then it gets harder. FTM has a Book publishing function where you are supposed to be able to drag in several other reports - but I can only think this will limit flexiblity in layout.

I'd prefer to be able to extract the text of the notes, birth dates/places etc and paste them into InDesign or even Word.

Might anyone have experience at extracting the raw data from the FTM database? (I assume someone somewhere will have written some SQL queries or PHP code to do this.)

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

boyd

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2009 :  12:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce: No experience to share, but I am certainly interested in what your experience tells you later. I am not quite that far along, but will want to do something similar. Have you looked at Roots Magic software? I use them for their charts (much easier and better than FTM, I think), but haven;t looked at their book procedures. Good luck, Boyd in North Dakota
Go to Top of Page
   Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000