This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Scottish, Local, and Social History
 The Berwickshire Militia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordon hanson

England
2 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2009 :  17:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to know more about the Berwickshire Militia. What I do know is as follows:-
The Berwickshire Militia were stationed at Woodbridge, Suffolk in 1811. My gt,gt,grandmother Mary Ann Walker Todd was baptised at Woodbridge on the 16th June 1811.
I have a poor copy of the baptism record, which reads:-
Mary Ann Walker Todd, daughter of Robert Todd, sergeant major of the Berwickshire Militia, and his wife Alice Whitehead.
By chance I found out that the "Kings Own Scotish Boarders" were also stationed at Woodbridge at the same time.By 1820 Robert Todd and family were living at Coldstream. His wife must have died, since he married Alice Hislop and moved to Duns. I think that he died before 1851, since Janet was living there with Roberts daughter Alice.
His grands son William Todd Robinson, My gt,grandfather was born there in 1843.
So far I have not been very successful in find much info.on this militia.

MaggieB

England
1 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2009 :  08:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Berwickshire Militia - I have an ancester who was in the Berwickshire Militia. They were formed as a response to the threat from Napoleon. The regimental diary and pay books are lodged at the National Archives (Kew) and I have gleaned as much information as possible from these. At the moment I don't have my notes with me, but I can tell you that they seemed to spend most of their time marching from one place to another and did, indeed, spend a short period at Woodbridge. As far as I can see, they didn't see any action, and I think they were really required as standby troops in case of invasion by the French. I can probably tell you a little bit more when I get back home, next week.
Go to Top of Page

Harry D. Watson

89 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2009 :  19:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The King's Own Scottish Borderers (not Boarders) were THE Border regiment par excellence, recruiting mainly in the Border towns. They also had the freedom of Edinburgh, entitling them to march through the city. There was a lot of anguish in Scotland when it was announced that the traditional Scottish regiments were to be amalgamated into a "Royal Regiment of Scotland". I happened to be in the centre of Edinburgh a year or two ago on the day that representatives of the various regiments had a march-past for the last time.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

RosieG

England
1 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2010 :  00:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to trace Robert Higham who married in 1805 in Falmouth and according to Pallots Marriage index was a soldier. It states 3rd Garrison Battallion.

I have just been looking at the Chelsea Pensioners Index on findmypast and have found a record for Robert Higham who was a drummer in the Berwickshire Regiment of Militia. Is there any liklihood of him being stationed in Falmouth, Cornwall in 1805? It does seem a long way from Edinburgh where he was born , but looking at the previous posts about Suffolk , could this be a maybe? Any help would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Forum-Master

Scotland
94 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2010 :  23:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's quite possible.

One of my ancestors, a William Chisholm, began his military life as a drummer in the Inverness Militia, which later became the 76th Highland Light Infantry. During his career which spanned 30 years (though not on active duty much of that time)and eventually retiring as a sergeant just before the Crimean war, he was involved in guarding prisoners in Morayshire; building the road from Inverness to Kingussie; in Portsmouth, England having marched all the way via London. He was also a Chelsea (out-Pensioner)

I suggest you contact the regimental museum at Berwick-on-Tweed.

Do let us know what you find out.
Go to Top of Page

dizzy

England
1 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2011 :  16:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a John McAlpine who married a Margaret Donaldson 1807 in Haddington which on his marriage certificate states he was a soldier in the Berwickshire Militia, I've been able to find out that between 1811-1813 in Linlithgow they were claiming an allowance for 2 children George & Elizabeth, they did have more children, but I've not been able to find Dof B for these 2, George being my ancestor b 1810c and it's a puzzle as to where he was born England ?Scotland? they last answer regarding Cornwall leads me to thing England might be right? but without a certificate I'm not likely to find out
Was it to do with being soldiers that children weren't registered
Is their any records for soldiers enlisting or when they were discharged
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000