This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Lockies of Roxburghshire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anbyanbyanby

Ireland
1 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  00:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
I am happy to have found this website!

I am researching the Lockie family. So far I have a slender thread gong back to James Lockie, born in Makerstoun, Roxburgh in 1706.

I wonder if anyone else here is researching this?

Anthony

lakecottages

England
1 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  13:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an Elizabeth Lockie born about 1811 who married my direct ancester James Bowman in Melrose, 21 Dec 1839 Elizabeth died 20 Sept 1849 after having 4 children. He then remarried. I believe Elizabeth's father was called James but have yet to research and confirm this. I have copies of Elizabeth's marriage and death parish records. I also have a mystery:
When checking back to the first 1841 Census (6 June 1841), James is recorded twice as he was lodging between Robert & Sophie Cairns in Kirk Yetholm in the parish of Yetholm (his Uncle Robert & Aunt Sophie) and also in Newtown, in the Parish of Melrose with Elizabeth Moffet (aged 30, born about 1811) and her two children William (5), Margaret (1). This was common with the first census (1841) as people were unsure as whether to register a person temporary away from home, as I believe happened in this case.

Both James Bowman’s are of the same age, birth place and with similar professions i.e. shoemaker
Surprisingly both Elizabeth’s are of similar age with an estimated 1811 birth date.
Possibly Elizabeth was previously married?
Hope this is of interest
Alan
Go to Top of Page

Harry D. Watson

89 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  21:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re the Elizabeth Moffat(30) with children Wm.(5) and Margaret(1) - the IGI shows a William Moffat born in 1837 at Melrose to John Moffat and Elizabeth Inglis.

I'm interested in the Moffats of Melrose as I have ancestors of that name there stretching back to before the Reformation.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

springer

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2014 :  04:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi from British Columbia, Canada...

I am the paternal grandson of Alison Lockie, b.March 8,1779 at Smailholm, Roxburghshire.

She was married to Andrew Walker, and my best information so far indicates that they lived on the estate of the Duke of Buccleuch.

They immigrated from Westruther, Berwickshire to Argenteuil County, Quebec, Canada circa 1830.

Any connection?

Edited by - springer on 04 January 2014 06:01:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000