This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Clarilaw
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carole A

New Zealand
3 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  16:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am interested in finding out about the settlement of Clarilaw, north east of Hawick. In particular, how many people may have lived there (especially around 1740); would the occupants likely have been farm labourers/shepherds? Does anyone know any social/community reasons for migration at that time (1740s/50s)?

Carole Adamson

researching Adamson; Amos; Simpson

Sandy Sandilands

23 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2012 :  17:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also interested in Clarilaw. Some of my Turnbull ancestors were living there from (at least) the 1760s onwards.
Go to Top of Page

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2012 :  23:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you need to read the 'lowland clearances' the clearance happened in lowland scotland before the Highlands for similar reasons and movements for work - its a good read try googling it.

also is your link to the Hawick area through AMOS - common name in the area with links to Turnbull's

also read 'Rulewater and its people' by tancedtheir AMOS families mentioned - its on the net.

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Sandilands

23 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2012 :  00:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Anne. Will "google"

No Amos links that I know of (yet).

My "Clarilaw" Turnbulls married Johnston(e)/Black/Oliver/Mathewson family members.
Go to Top of Page

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2012 :  14:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed Carole A was researching Amos

But as for us Turnbull's 'Rulewater and it's People' is a must read whole sections and trees included. Brillant Book

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

Harry D. Watson

88 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2012 :  19:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The forest that figures in this story is called Clarilawmoor and is near Selkirk, but I think there is more than one Clarilaw in the Borders -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-19371013

I also like Tancred's Rulewater book but I'm biased as he mentions my 5 x great-grandfather William Stephenson of Langburnshiels farm.

William Stephenson is also mentioned in another fascinating book, Michael J.H. Robson "A Break With the Past. Changed days on two Border sheep farms (Langburnshiels and Riccarton)" (Ovenshank, Newcastleton, 1991).

Harry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000