This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 BLACKIE/BLAIKIE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Harry D. Watson

89 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2009 :  13:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else been tracing the BLACKIE/BLAIKIE family of Hawick? If so, you are probably as confused as I am by the frequent changes of spelling of this name by the same family.

James BLACKIE married Mary HOGG at Greenlaw, Berwickshire, in 1820. Their son James BLEAKIE was born at Wilton, Hawick, in 1826 to James BLEAKIE and Mary HOGG (IGI spelling, from OPR).

In 1847 the above James junior, as James BLACKIE, married Jane PETTIGREW (sister of my great-great-grandmother Agnes PETTIGREW). James and Jane moved to Glasgow, where their name is recorded in the 1861 and 1871 censuses as BLACKIE.

In 1875 their son James BLACKIE married Agnes TURNBULL at Hawick.

In 1889 his younger brother John Pettigrew BLAIKIE married Beatrice NISBET, also at Hawick.

In the 1891 census of Cambuslang, near Glasgow, Jane BLACKIE is living with her above-mentioned son John Pettigrew BLACKIE (!) and his wife Beatrice. I don't know where Jane's husband is.

In 1901, James BLAIKIE senior and his wife Jane PETTIGREW are back at Wilton Dean, Hawick, where the PETTIGREWS had settled by 1841 after moving to Scotland from Northern Ireland.

James BLAIKIE died in 1905 and his death was registered by his son James BLAIKIE. James junior also registered the death of his mother Jane BLAIKIE(m.s. PETTIGREW) in 1916.

What bothers me is that the names BLACKIE and BLAIKIE have quite different pronunciations, so I don't see how you can confuse them.

Harry

angusg

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  03:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Blaikie Blackie family.

This issue crops up all the time in the family that
originated in the Coldingham area in the 1750's.

They may not be related to yours but the name confusions
are the same.
Go to Top of Page

indibraw

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2012 :  16:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PLEASE :SEE MY LATER CONTRIBUTION

Edited by - indibraw on 17 May 2012 11:52:28
Go to Top of Page

indibraw

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  11:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's me again!! My Blackies in the BORDERS were kicked off by JOHN B. and JANET STORRIE -founding a dynasty of blacksmiths and ag.labs..Shall I tell more??? Ian Blackie..
Go to Top of Page

scotsgirl44

England
13 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  00:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an Agness Blaikie/Bleakie married to a Peter Gray on the 10 Jun 1770 in Kirkton, Roxburghshire and died 8 Aug 1806 in Hawick. Their 2 children I have documented are Agnes b 1778 and Walter b 1782. Agnes is my direct line, but there were 2 Walter Grays born around this time, one of whom moved to Hertfordshire, then Canada. Would be intersted to know if this is the same one as in my family tree.
Go to Top of Page

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  00:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You queried the pronunciation of the two spelling - it could sound similiar depending of where in the Borders the people writing the record came from especially the difference in dialect between Hawick and Coldingham. or the transcribing of someone elses written could result in the change in spelling especially 'c' and 'i'

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000