This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 "Church hill" Berwick
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LornaHen

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2010 :  08:13:14  Show Profile  Visit LornaHen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Needle in haystack.
How many churches are on hills!

I'm trying to place an Andrew FAIRBAIRN, born about 1829 thru 1832 depending on which census you believe.
1851 says aged 19, born Church Hill Berwick
1861 thru 1891 merely say born Scotland (yes he was in England).
Marriage cert. gives him as the son of a John, corn dealer.

The favoured contender for this Andrew was/is currently John FAIRBAIRN and Jane WADDELL who had a son Andrew in 1828.
However this was in Smailholm, and John was a carter there at that time, and a goods carrier on son William's 1900 death cert. with nothing indicating any connection to dealing corn yet found.

1841 options include an Andrew with a Christer at Birgham, Eccles where Christian could be his sister, IF he is the son of John and Jane.

Recently I found that an Andrew son of George and Jane (LAW) was at Chesterhall in Earlston, but he was born 1815 and is accounted for, and I cannot convert the 1851 census into Chesterhall.

Any hints anyone?

Regards
Lorna
http://fairbairndna.blogspot.com

LornaHen

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2010 :  13:56:30  Show Profile  Visit LornaHen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to "cousin" Ralph, I've been pointed to Kirkhill near Legerwood.
Slap bang where I WANT him to be.
This however adds a few interesting dimensions into the correct identification of Andrew.
Searching the 1851 census on ancestry for keyword of Kirkhill brought up a household in Greenlaw with two FAIRBAIRN visitors, Jane and Margaret, both born Kirkhill, living with John and Elizabeth PIERCEY, Elizabeth also being born Kirkhill.
The three woman turn out to be siblings, all children of George FAIRBAIRN and Margaret LOCH/LOUGH. (George being the son of the George and Jane (LAW) FAIRBAIRN I mentioned in my original post)
They have a brother Andrew born 1831 (Boon Mill according to his baptism at Legerwood), and I've not accounted for him after 1841, but should he be the Andrew I'm searching for parents of, that would make his marriage cert wrong on two counts, father's name given as John, not George, and occupation given as corn dealer instead of shepherd.
All of which seems to involve a bit much suspension of belief.
I would however like to hear from anyone who knows what happened to this Andrew, son of George and Margaret, to positively eliminate him though (and from any direct male line descendant who may with to represent this or any other FAIRBAIRN line in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project for that matter)
Regards
Lorna
http://fairbairndna.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Robb

Spain
17 Posts

Posted - 22 October 2010 :  22:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't rely on occupations as a clue. From census to census people could change their occupation from Carter to Bell Ringer - remember the census was a snapshot. A Linen Weaver might be a spool threader a few days, never mind ten years later.

Your man is in a tricky time between the OPR's and the Statutory records. I'd try "Scotlands People" website and cast a wide net on the birth dates you have for the name then tie in with the marriage record you have.

I have Fairbairns in my tree but they're all as good as gold.Just where they should be. :-)

MJROBB
Go to Top of Page

LornaHen

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 23 October 2010 :  01:24:08  Show Profile  Visit LornaHen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Malcolm. Yes I am aware of that, and have most of the Andrews documented.
John and Jane are still the favoured contenders despite the occupation change and the age difference.
The dna project may yet come up trumps as I have a descendant of John's assumed parents Robert and Elizabeth (CROSBIE) ready to take the plunge as well as one from this Andrew, so all may, or may not, be revealed in due course.
If he does belong to John and Jane, the drift south to join the army also led him away from that handy hint of the Scottish naming pattern for his children. First son William, although the first daughter does have Jane as a second name.
Maybe over time I'll find the rest of the family of John and Jane (WADDELL) to help this id, but only one of the sons so far (in Glasgow).

SINTON, WIGHT, FAIRBAIRN, DAVIDSON, RUNCIMAN, ++
Go to Top of Page

Forum-Master

Scotland
94 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2010 :  00:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I echo Malcolm's reply about occupations.

Additionally, a carter with a bit of spare money might try being a corn dealer; he would need a cart to collect corn from the wholesaler and also to deliver the corn to buyers, particularly those in the countryside; and because he delivers, wouldn't have the expense or the risk of a retail shop.

One of the paupers, George Darrie, whose case in 1924 I've reported in Melrose Parish Poor Law Records (1884-1930), seems to have tried his hand at many things, including using a cart to hawk cloth and drapery around the country areas.

I hazard a guess that his occupation in 1901, aged about 19, would be as some kind of worker on his father's farm. Of course, I don't know what his occupation was in the 1911 or 1921 censuses, however, his other occupations included crofting, rabbit catching, stoking engines, supervising timber felling, and night watching.

I doubt that anyone would guess all these different occupations.
Go to Top of Page

LornaHen

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2011 :  10:37:14  Show Profile  Visit LornaHen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Think I've finally cracked this one.
The 1851 Andrew FAIRBAIRN in the Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich, born Church Hill, Legerwood, is rather more likely to be the George born Kirkhill, nr Legerwood, son of George and Margaret (LOUGH/LOCK) FAIRBAIRN.
On findmypast I've just found Andrew and George, both born Smailholm, in the 1851 Royal Artillery Barracks in Leeds, with sufficient other identifying information now available for them to be the sons of John & Jane (WADDELL) FAIRBAIRN, who were in Coldstream by 1841.
As to occupation, still assuming that I've the right family for John and Jane, we can add Town Scavenger to the list of his occupations(death cert of daughter Christian Nisbet FAIRBAIRN who married James FAIRBAIRN, son of Ralph & Helen (CROW) FAIRBAIRN.
Anyone interested in the family can check my assumptions and the tree as posted on the Lineages section of the FAIRBAIRN One Name Study
http://fairbairn.lornahen.com/lineages/p35321.htm

SINTON, WIGHT, FAIRBAIRN, DAVIDSON, RUNCIMAN, ++
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000