This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Scottish, Local, and Social History
 John Mcalpine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snowsell

24 Posts

Posted - 30 October 2010 :  15:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find the correct John Mcalpine/John Mcalpin to go back a generation - he married Margaret Donaldson in 1807 and was in the Berwick Militia. His first child George was born in England in 1810 so it is likely he was still in the Militia at that time. After that a shoemaker in Linlithgow.

Can anyone tell me the minimum age, if there was one, that you could join.

Many thanks - Jill

epfborders

Scotland
51 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2010 :  21:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jill

All able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 30 were eligible to be balloted to be in the Militia. After 1802, the upper age was raised to 45. If they have several children under 10 years of age, they were also exempted. Do you know where he was living ? If in Berwick, you could try the Northumerland & Durham FHS or the Berwick Record Office as they may have the Militia lists. If he lived in Berwickshire or in the Borders, the hub have a fair number of the militai lists. Borders FHS have been transcibing the lists and including them in the Monumental Inscription publications.

Elma
Go to Top of Page

snowsell

24 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2010 :  13:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elma, thank you very much for that. I don't know where he lived, I have a choice of 93 John Mcalpines to choose from! He married Margaret Donaldson in 1807 in Haddington and that's it!

Thanks again, Jill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000