This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Scottish, Local, and Social History
 Selkirk schools
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ted

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 02 June 2011 :  14:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would be interested in sources and how to access, for Selkirk schools and pupil rolls from say 1840 to 1900. Interested in surname Ingles - sometimes mis-spelt Inglis.

epfborders

Scotland
51 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2011 :  23:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted
If the school is closed and if the records still exist, the school log books and admission records will be held at the Scottish Borders Archive in Hawick.

They have a new online catalogue which can be viewed at http://www.calmview.eu/HUBCAT/CalmView/default.aspx but it may not include all of the records as they are still transcribing the indexes and loading them to the catalogue.

You can contact the Hub via email: archives@scotborders.gov.uk

Which school are you interested in ? I'll probably be at the Hub again
either this week or next week and could have a look for you

Elma
Go to Top of Page

Ted

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2011 :  21:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by epfborders

Ted
If the school is closed and if the records still exist, the school log books and admission records will be held at the Scottish Borders Archive in Hawick.

They have a new online catalogue which can be viewed at http://www.calmview.eu/HUBCAT/CalmView/default.aspx but it may not include all of the records as they are still transcribing the indexes and loading them to the catalogue.

Elma

A bit late getting back - my wife has broken her leg and I am now chief cook and bottle washer!

The only information I have of my Ingles/Inglis ancestors in Selkirk is from the census and bmd records. I do plan a visit, probably in the Autumn, so was interested to see if there was information on schools during this time and where the records are kept. I will take a look in the first place at the links you suggest, then contact the archive at Hawick. Thanks for your reply.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Sandilands

23 Posts

Posted - 18 June 2011 :  10:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by epfborders

Ted

Elma

Thank you for the Hub catalogue link which gave me such a thrill when I discovered no less that 7 records directly relating to my Selkirk Sandilands! Looks like there could be more too!

Although I have visited the Hub in person I had never been able to source my family in any records there apart from entries in the OPR marriages and burials. It's like winning the genealogical lottery :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000