This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Records and Other Artefacts
 Newspapers in Duns 1918
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PattiG

6 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  04:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to know the name of any local newspaper in Duns around 1918 and if death or funeral notices would have been placed in them.I am looking for information on Tom Stephenson who was present at the time of his mothers death, Bessie Stephenson (nee Douglas) in 1918 living at Chapel Farm. Tom stated he was living at kidshiel Haugh. Hope anyone can help me. Thanks -

Harry D. Watson

89 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  10:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope someone can help with your query, but meanwhile here is a death notice I once copied from a back number of the "Scotsman" -

February 4th., 1919

DEATHS

STEPHENSON - At 12 Braid Road, Edinburgh, on February 2nd., in her 86th year, MARY STEPHENSON, last survivor of the family of Joseph Stephenson, surgeon, Duns. Funeral on Thursday to Duns Churchyard from Duns Station on arrival of train at 11.52. (No flowers).

Harry
Go to Top of Page

epfborders

Scotland
51 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  23:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The local paper is the Berwickshire News and could be the most likely - the Heritage Hub at Hawick have copies on microfilm but not sure what dates they have. The Berwick Advertiser is more of a Berwick paper. The other one worth trying is the Kelso Chronicle / Southern Reporter - again microfilm is available at the Hub. The Scotsman Archive is online and access is free if you are a member of Edinburgh Libraries - published on 9 Apr 1918
STEPHENSON - At Chapel, Duns on 5th April, BESSIE DOUGLAS, widow of RICHARD STEPHENSON, merchant, Duns. Funeral on 10th inst to Duns Cemetery, leaving Chapel at 1.30pm. Friens please accept this (the only) intimation and invitation. No Flowers

Elma
Go to Top of Page

Harry D. Watson

89 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2011 :  16:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just had a look at the Scotsman Archive site and it says you can have a free trial, then it costs 7.95 a day to access the archive.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

douglass

Scotland
6 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  22:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there
the duns libray has the berwickshire advertiser in these dates
cheers
douglas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic