This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Kerchester & Kerquarters near Sprouston
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TerryJ

England
3 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2011 :  22:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having Ker(r) ancestors from Sprouston in Roxburghshire, I was interested when I looked at a map of the area to see two nearby places called Kerchesters and Kerquarters. Can anyone shed any light on these? would the names point to a possible link with my Kers who so far go back to Thomas b 1772?

Extending tree through Ker(r)s

terianne

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2011 :  14:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kerchesters and Kerquarters are old farms within the Roxburghe Estates - probably start with Ker because the Duke(s) of Roxburghe are and were Ker(r)s.

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

TerryJ

England
3 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2011 :  22:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Anne that's very interesting. I doubt we are descended from the Dukes but who knows.
Thanks again
Terry

Extending tree through Ker(r)s
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 05 November 2011 :  19:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 1806 book shows (travelling further down the River Tweed from St Boswells): "At the turn of the river is the church of Maxton, about a mile below which is Littledean tower, in former times a seat of the Kerrs." And separately, in the description of the parish of Maxton: "On the farm of Littledean, about a mile east from the church, are the remains of an old tower, formerly the residence of the Kers [sic]..." Then in the list of Chief Seats for Roxburghshire is included: "Ker [sic],-Cavers" the latter being a parish within the county. Hope this is of interest. Cheers, Ward
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000