This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Hislop, Ballantyne, Sanderson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

photoman

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2012 :  20:21:18  Show Profile  Visit photoman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James Hislop married Elizabeth Betsy Watson, Thomas Ballantyne married Betsy Hislop, John Sanderson married Janet Hislop, all from Galashiels are in my ancestry.They were all weavers who immigrated to Huron County Ontario in 1860's and worked in mills there. Some say the Ballantyne and Sanderson are from families who owned large mills in the area? Looking to find out more about these factories and families.

Searching Ballantyne, Hislop, Sanderson, relatives. They were weavers/farmers in Ontario Canada

strath

New Zealand
44 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2012 :  01:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a look at:
www.walkerburn.com
Select "History" and then scroll down to "Middle Ages & Great War"
Henry Ballantyne was Chairman of a company I run in the early
1970s I'm sure I remember him saying that it was the 13th generation of Ballantynes running the factory at that time.
There must be many records of the company still held in Scotland.
Strath
Go to Top of Page

MaryS

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2012 :  19:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Mather family came from Galashiels in the 1840's to Grey County Ont. They were also weavers in Galashiels and Jedburgh, and their mother was a Sanderson. She was born in Hawick as were her brothers William b. 1781, James b. 1787 and John b. 1801. I found their birthdates on S.P. and they were all born in Hawick but may have moved to Galashiels to find employment. There are many Sanderson's in the Galashiels area (check the 1841 census) and I am having trouble connecting them. My research indicates that they owned and worked in textile mills and lumber mills. If you subscribe to Ancestry.ca, check out the publication on the History of Galashiels.

Interested in Mather, Nicol, Binnie, Lauder, Cranston, Sanderson, Kennedy, Jedburgh, Galashiels
Go to Top of Page

Forum-Master

Scotland
94 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2012 :  23:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Society offers The History of Galashiels by Robert Hall on CD at 12 plus postage.

See http://blog.bordersfhs.org.uk/2011/06/halls-history-of-galashiels.html.
Go to Top of Page

sbudge

Scotland
8 Posts

Posted - 25 November 2012 :  10:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were a lots of Ballantyne's in Gala, my GG Grand father Andrew Ballantyne setup The Pluntree Dye Works, and dissolved the partnership when he became the Burgh Chamberlain for Gala.
Photoman pretty sure our Ballantynes are connected I have an Isabella Hislop moving out to Canada in my tree.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000