This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Records and Other Artefacts
 How to trace a young life 1799-1814
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pandoren

England
2 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2012 :  22:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 4x great grandfather Mark Brady 1799 was born in Cornhill, Northumberland and then (somehow, at some point) moved to North Shields and became a mariner. According to his later Merchant Navy records, he first went to sea at the age of 15.

Now, Mark was the illegitimate son of William Brady the Shoemaker and a woman we shall, with regret, know for now merely as Margaret the Widow. He could read and write, so presumbly had an education.

I'm really interested in Mark's life and was hoping to find out more about his early life and perhaps how or when he ended up in North Shields (at the moment, I don't know if it was a family move, him by himself, or he caught a ship at another port and ended up there, etc...) I don't know what records there might be to look into. One awkward complication is that his mother Margaret has four or five different surnames depending on the source (Ord, Sord, Todd etc...) and I've got no hits on them. Another confusion is that Mark might have been one of twins, but the information is conflicting.

Secondary to that, I don't know if Mark's father left a will or if they are available to look at if he did. Give or take a year or so, he moved his entire legitimate family to Coldstream at the same time Mark went to sea and died there in 1830 (buried in Cornhill). He 'put his name' to Mark at the baptism, so I guess I'm hoping Mark might at least have got a mention.

If anyone has any thoughts, they would be gratefully received :)

epfborders

Scotland
51 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2012 :  20:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried the Testaments on Scotlands People ? There's a testament for a John Brady, bootmaker, d1876 in Coldstream? Could he be related?

Elma

Elma
Go to Top of Page

Pandoren

England
2 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2012 :  20:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I thought I'd get a notification if someone said anything.

Mark had a half-brother called John Brady, who was a master boot maker and died in 1876 in Partick. I guess the testament could have been done in Coldstream. To be honest I didn't think to look for half-sibling testaments.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000