This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Conference Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Oxnam Sawmill and/or Edgerston Lodge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BJ at Home

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2008 :  04:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone please advise me on the history and whereabouts of these two places. Do they still exist? My interest in them dates to the 1800s and the family name Hastie.

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  22:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edgerston House still exists

try either Lothian Estates or Roxburgh Estates they might help

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2008 :  18:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough, I visited Edgerston yesterday! The village itself is about 8 miles North of the border with England, on the main A68. A little under half a mile off the A68 eastwards lies Edgerston House. You can find out more about this place at: http://www.a2jlp.co.uk/edgerston/edgerstonestate.htm
Whether there was a lodge or not I don't know. Certainly, nothing exists of this at the entrance to the estate from the village, although I did notice the remains of a sort of lodge house at the entrance off the Edgerston Tofts road, a little to the South. On the main A68, right opposite the main entrance to the estate, is a small church with graveyard. Next time I'm up there I can have a look for any sign of Hastie's if you like. Edward
Go to Top of Page

BJ at Home

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 29 March 2008 :  00:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your interest. If you are passing through again and find out anything, I would be most grateful.

quote:
Originally posted by Wardy

Oddly enough, I visited Edgerston yesterday! The village itself is about 8 miles North of the border with England, on the main A68. A little under half a mile off the A68 eastwards lies Edgerston House. You can find out more about this place at: http://www.a2jlp.co.uk/edgerston/edgerstonestate.htm
Whether there was a lodge or not I don't know. Certainly, nothing exists of this at the entrance to the estate from the village, although I did notice the remains of a sort of lodge house at the entrance off the Edgerston Tofts road, a little to the South. On the main A68, right opposite the main entrance to the estate, is a small church with graveyard. Next time I'm up there I can have a look for any sign of Hastie's if you like. Edward

Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2008 :  23:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi BJ. Seems there were TWO lodge houses at Edgerston, one referred to as North Lodge or Mary Annes Cottage as a Mary Anne Little used to live in it and the other as South Lodge which is probably the one I saw. The former seems to have been demolished.
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  22:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi BJ. Don't know if you got my email or not. I recently visited the burial ground at Edgerston Church and there is a stone there marked: Margaret Brown wife of Samuel Hastie d 11 Sept 1830 aged 64 years
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2008 :  22:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toc toc toc! Is there anyone called BJ there?! In my recent visit to the Borders I found a memorial stone at Hownam Church with a whole lot of Hastie folk listed - all at Edgerston. If you'd like the info I'm happy to supply it but it would be nice to have some response...
Go to Top of Page

BJ at Home

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2008 :  01:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wardy

Toc toc toc! Is there anyone called BJ there?! In my recent visit to the Borders I found a memorial stone at Hownam Church with a whole lot of Hastie folk listed - all at Edgerston. If you'd like the info I'm happy to supply it but it would be nice to have some response...

Go to Top of Page

BJ at Home

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2008 :  01:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wardy

Yes, I'm here now! My apologies for not responding earlier. I have been out of town for some time without access to my emails. I very much appreciate your interest and would like to hear what you have to tell me.
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2008 :  22:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi BJ. There's a stone in OXNAM (not Hownam as I mentioned) churchyard with various Hastie's, transcription as follows: "In memory of Robert Hastie who died at Edgerston Lodge 29th April 1833 aged 58 years. Also Jane Oliver his wife died at Edgerston Lodge Jany 4th 1861 aged 82 years. Also two sons of the above died in infancy. William died in America 18th August 1849 aged 34 years. Also Jane Hstie their daughter who died at Edgerston Lodge 7th August 1872 aged 56 years. Also Ellen Hastie their daughter who died at Edgerston Lodge 21 [poss 27] August 1879 [or 1899] aged 76 years. Also Betty Hastie their daughter who died at Edgerston Lodge 4th September 1884 aged 85 years. Also Ralph Hastie their son who died at Oxnan Sawmill .... July 18... aged .... years."
If you'd like to give me your email address I'd be glad to send you a photo of the stone.
Go to Top of Page

Forum-Master

Scotland
94 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  22:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a message for BJ at Home.

The email address recorded in our records is invalid, so we can't contact you, and you can't post topics.

Please send me a message on our Contacts page using the contact type Contact the Webmaster giving your new email address.

The domain in the invalid email address is grapevine.com.au

Peter Munro
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000