This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Walter Turnbull and Janet Cleugh of Galashiels.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

magginelli

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 25 November 2012 :  19:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 3rd great-grandparents Walter Turnbull, (farmer/joiner) and his wife Janet (Jessie) Cleugh, have had me stumped for decades. I know their names from the death records of two of their children, John Turnbull and Jessie Turnbull (MS. Muckle/Meikle), my g.g.grandmother. The only record of them I have found is Jessie’s death in Rosewell, Midlothian 17th June 1838, and subsequent burial in Carrington 21st June 1838. She is then described as a “Relict”, or widow. No marriage has been found, nor christenings of John, Jessie or other children. Most censuses give John and Jessie’s respective places of birth as Galashiels, except the 1891 census of St. Monance, Fife, which gives John’s birth parish as “Caddonfoot, Selkirkshire”. Which would indicate that Walter Turnbull and his wife lived in the Galashiels area from about 1808 to 1813, if not longer. Janet may have moved to be near her daughter in Midlothian when she became a widow.
The references to Walter and Janet are as follows:
Jessie’s death record, Lasswade January 1862: Parents: Walter Turnbull (Joiner) and Janet Cleugh, both deceased.
John’s death record, St. Monance, Fife: Parents: Walter Turnbull, farmer, deceased + Janet Turnbull MS Cleugh, deceased.
John was for many years schoolmaster at Whitsome parish school. Gravestone inscription: (Whitsome graveyard)
"Erected by John Turnbull in loving memory of Elizabeth Walker who died 13th April 1888 aged 78 years. Also in loving memory of his daughter Jessie Cleuch who died 7th June 1868 aged 24 years. And of an infant daughter who died 8 August 1852.
Also in memory of the above John Turnbull who died 21st June 1891 aged 83 years, for 32 years Master of the Parish School from 1844 to 1876. And of Elisabeth his daughter who at her brother's Manse at Abercrombie, St Monans, dutifully tended her father til his death. She died there 5th June 1904. Their bodies rest here."

Would therefore be grateful for any information about Walter and/or Jessie, or any suggestions as to where I might find relevant
information. Are some parish records for Galashiels missing or incomplete for the late 1700s and early 1800s, or why haven’t I been able to find them?

With thanks and best wishes, Margaret

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 26 November 2012 :  23:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
confused you talk about Jessie Turnbull as the children of Walter and Janet then you say MS Muckle/Meikle - MS means Maiden Surname this would suggest Jessie is a Turnbull by marriage and therefore her records would be under Muckle or Meikle with reference to Turnbull

from the rest of your info it would appear that Walter and Janet had a daughter called Jessie (but not the above one - the info & dates don't seem to match)

I'll have a look through my record to see if Jessie turns up with Turnbull connections

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

magginelli

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2012 :  07:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again! Sorry, I need to clarify a couple of points:

That should have been MARRIED SURNAME Meikle/Muckle (her husband's records have both spellings). Jessie (also called Janet in some records) and John are the only two children I've found for this couple.

DEATH of the mother:
Janet Cleugh, relict of Walter Turnbull, died at Rosewell 17th June 1838, and was interred on the 21st of Do. in the new burying ground at Carrington. (Age not recorded.)

I had once noted a POSSIBLE christening for Janet in Melrose 4.
Nov 1771 with parents John Cleugh and Margaret Hardie, but I have no way of knowing whether this is the correct person, as I have found no marriage record indicating which parish she belonged to. She would then have been about 42 when Jessie was born.

Go to Top of Page

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2012 :  14:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for that - bit clearer

I had a quick look through the 1851 and 1861 census' for Whitsome and found John Turnbull and Elizabeth Walker and family - it said that john was born in Galashiels and Elizabeth at lasswade midlothian
and their had quite a big family

you can look them up for free on www.maxwellancestry.com/census

i'll have another look through my records for walter/janet and jessie

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

magginelli

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2012 :  18:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I have information on the families and descendants of John and Jessie, but it's their parents (and any potential siblings)that have been so hard to discover anything definite about.

It's Janet Cleugh's death (the one who was married to Walter Turnbull) in 1838. The daughter Jessie (also called Janet in some records) was born in Galashiels about 1813, according to several censuses, died in 1862.

Summary:
1. Walter Turnbull, born before 1790, died before 1838
2. Janet Cleugh his wife, born before 1792, died 1838
3. John Turnbull, their son, born about 1808 in Caddenfoot/Galashiels
(married Elizabeth Walker, 9 children, died 1891 St. Monance, Fife, in his son's manse)
4. Jessie Turnbull born about 1813 in Galashiels
(married John Muckle, 9 children, died 1862 Lasswade, Midlothian)
5. Walter and Janet probably have more children, but no christenings found.

Go to Top of Page

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2012 :  22:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just a quick one - thought you might be interested in this website

Whitsome Lists 1-place study of the Berwickshire parish of Whitsome & Hilton including gravestone inscriptions.
http://homepages.ipact.nl/~robertson/index.html

it mentioned the school and John Turnbull

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000