This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Jean and William Simpson 21/05/1821
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul

England
3 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2013 :  15:31:54  Show Profile  Send Paul an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I am currently researching the Family History on my Paternal side and this has led me to Yetholm Parish in the Scottish Borders, as my 7th Generation relatives, William and Jean Simpson, were Married in "Irregularity" on 21st May 1821.

I have recorded evidence of this via ScotlandsPeople.org 'Old Parish Register' records however, the detail within this document only listed the very basic details of date of Marriage and names of the couple and that they were "of this Parish".

I understand "Irregular" Marriages were common in the Border towns although I am unsure as to why - perhaps the lower age limit allowed in Scotland?

I am keen to find out further information on William and Jean so I can extend my Family History a further generation, however, as mentioned I only have minimal information on this Marriage and due to this being "Irregular" they may come outside of the area.

I have found a Birth Certificate of a "Jean Simpson" born in Yetholm 0n 2nd Feb 1801 which ties in date wise and the Marriage confirmation I have suggests Jean was already a "Simpson" so that does tie in also. Nothing so far has been found on William, although he is listed as a "Tinsmith" on the Marriage document.

Are there any other sources of information I can investigate to hopefully find out more detail on this Marriage (Date of Birth / Age / Address as potentially from outside of the parish as Marriage was "Irregular") etc.

I have sent a similar email to the Hawick Heritage Hub to understand if they would potentially have other documentation (ie old Church records?).

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

With kindest regards
Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2013 :  21:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
found a match in 1851 census at 19 shedden park rd, kelso

William Simpson 57 House Joiner born St Boswells
Jane Simpson 51 House Keeper born Yetholm
George Simpson 25 Gentlemens Servant born Yetholm
Adam Simpson 19 Groom born Yetholm
Robert Simpson 14 at School born Yetholm
Jane Simpson 12 at School born Kelso
Joseph Simpson 10 at School Born Kelso

Hope this helps

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

Paul

England
3 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2013 :  14:35:17  Show Profile  Send Paul an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne,

Thank you for that. I don't think it is my relatives as I know they had a son called Anthony Murray who was aged 35 in 1851 (although I have found him on a census in Glasgow).

Anthony Murray was born in Edinburgh so I assume the family relocated to Edinburgh in the mid 1820's.

In addition, the census you refer to states "Jane" rather than "Jean", unless its a typo on the census perhaps.

Many thanks for looking into this though.

With kind regards
Paul

Paul Simpson
Go to Top of Page

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2013 :  23:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do not dismiss them altogether

In Scotland Jean is also another name for Jane and Janet

Also the census only shows the name of the people living in the house at the time of the census, anyone one not present on the day would be included whereever they were visiting.

If your Anthony was 35, he would had left home by 1851

Also if he was born Edinburgh, it might explain the irregular marriage - and their might have had to get married and have Anthony away from the area and return as a family to avoid any Scandal.

Just an idea as this was quite common.

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

Paul

England
3 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2013 :  10:34:10  Show Profile  Send Paul an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's very interesting, thanks very much Anne.

Anthony Murray is on an 1851 Glasgow census so that ties in as he had moved out.

I think this is a possiblilty, Yetholm was a small parish interms of residents and 'Simpson' is not included on the list of common names for the area so it appears this could be a link.

I am going to arrange for Hawick Hub to research the minutes for 1821 as this may provide a reason for the irregular Marriage and hopefully some more detail on William - if we can tie him to St Boswells or being aged 57 then it would be the right person.

Thanks for your help on this Anne, much appreciated and gives me a potential link.

With kind regards
Paul

Paul Simpson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000