This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Bare**** peel tower
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JonnyT

1 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2013 :  15:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm descended from the Taits around Yetholm and was wondering if anyone had an idea where the peel tower called Bare**** was located? We also had steads at Stankford and Dow Know - any ideas where these were, please? I know that there's a Dow Brae in Town Yetholm now, and I wondered if Stankford might have been where the bridge crosses near the football field now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers and all the best,
Jon Tait

Enid

8 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2014 :  14:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by JonnyT

Hi,
I'm descended from the Taits around Yetholm and was wondering if anyone had an idea where the peel tower called Bare**** was located? We also had steads at Stankford and Dow Know - any ideas where these were, please? I know that there's a Dow Brae in Town Yetholm now, and I wondered if Stankford might have been where the bridge crosses near the football field now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers and all the best,
Jon Tait

Can't help a lot but a modern map shows a channel of water running around Town Yetholm from the Yetholm Loch to the Bowmont Water north of Kirk Yetholm, called The Stank and presumably the property would be as named at a shallow point of that. I've looked in the Roxburgh volume of the Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments and can see no sign of 'Bare...' anything. A lot of Burnhead and related which makes me wonder if the farmhouse itself might be based on an old tower - it does happen quite often.
Enid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000