This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Dods Family from East Lothian and Berwickshire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

William1781

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2013 :  14:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am researching the Dods family from East Lothian, Berwickshire, and occasionally Roxburghshire from the late 17th century to the present. Including a James Dods 1675 (son of Robert and Jean) who was married to Helen Dalson or Dauson, she was born about 1685-7.
James is the father of Andrew Dods born 1719 and 5 other children Thomas 1713, Helen 1720, William 1722, Marion 1724, George 1726 and. Andrew Dods is my 5 X great grandfather.
Andrew Dods married Christian Haig in 1737, their children are John 1738, David 1740, Andrew 1746 James 1750,
Andrew married Margaret Stevenson they had 8 children-Andrew 1774, John 1776, Margaret 1775, William 1781, Christian 1784, James 1786, George 1789 and Alexander 1792

William married Elizabeth (Betty) Shillinglaw in 1808; they emigrated from Scotland to Canada in 1829, with 7 children and settled in what is now Alton, part of Caledon, in the Region of Peel, Ontario. One of Williamís sons, Joseph married Catherine McClellan. They had 11 children, not all survived to adulthood.
We have lots of information about the Dods family and descendants in Canada, but very little information about the family members who stayed in Scotland. Some of the older information is from a family bible dating back to the 1750ís. I know some of them went to the U.S. The family originally lived in Dunbar, East Lothian, and later in Nenthorn, Berwickshire, and surrounding area. If you have any information about this Dods family especially the family members who stayed in Scotland I would really appreciate it. I am willing to share information I have.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000