This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Turnbull , Oliver and Aird
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sandy Sandilands

23 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2013 :  15:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered if anyone here could help me discover more about 2 of my ancestors John Turnbull of Clarilaw (or Clarelaw) and his 1st wife Margaret Oliver?

All I know is that John and Margaret had a daughter, Margaret Turnbull, born 1762 in Bowden and John later married Isobel Aird (b.1737 dau of George Aird and Marion Thorburn) in 1764 following the death of Margaret Oliver.

Thank you.

terianne

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2013 :  13:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
which Clarilaw there at least two - one near Hawick and one near Bowden - both connected to Turnbull's - not sure if related.

Can find record on second marriage but little on first

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Sandilands

23 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2013 :  17:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne

I haven't been able to find a record of the first marriage: John Turnbull to Margaret Oliver. What I have is a baptism entry for their daughter (my ancestor) Margaret Turnbull b.1762 in Bowden. "John Turnbull in Clarilaw and Margaret Oliver his spouse."

The entry following Margaret Turnbull's baptism is for two later children of John Turnbull, George and Janet, but this time John Turnbull's wife is named as Margaret Aird.

Looks like Margaret Oliver had died, John remarried and all the children were baptised at the same time. In both entries John Turnbull is "in Clarilaw".

As the births were in Bowden my thoughts are that the Clarilaw in questions is the one in Bowden?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000