This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Wood-Riddel(Riddell)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

L Wood

4 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2014 :  21:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After having spent considerable time and research, along the usual paths,we have been unable to definitively determine Scottish backgrounds of our GR GR Grandparents:
James Wood b.1804 Roxboroughshire, blacksmith, d.1881 Lachute Quebec & Elizabeth Riddel(Riddell) b.1806-1809 ?place, d.1890 Lachute Quebec.
We believe they were married May 13,1830 in Kelso by Rev. MacCheyne, Minister of The Relief, with witnesses William Bennet and Isabel Hall.
They emigrated to Canada in 1830 arriving in Quebec and settling in Argenteuil County. We believe Elizabeth's brother and sister sailed from Scotland/UK at one time to visit her.
If anyone could assist us with their history prior to arriving in Canada, it would be most appreciated. Thank you.

springer

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2014 :  04:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi...

Got your message.

I found this e-book that's available online, provides a history of the Argenteuil area. It contained a reference to the arrival and times of the Walkers in LaChute. Hopefully you may have some luck with it, too.

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/cyrus-thomas/history-of-the-counties-of-argenteuil-que-and-prescott-ont-from-the--goo/1-history-of-the-counties-of-argenteuil-que-and-prescott-ont-from-the--goo.shtml

There was a considerable immigration of Scots to the region circa 1830, although my paternal grandfather, near as I can tell, arrived there from England, and married a Walker at the Church of Scotland in Chatham in 1831. Link for access to their records...

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onpresco/chatham.htm

Best!
Springer

Edited by - springer on 05 January 2014 04:55:01
Go to Top of Page

L Wood

4 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2014 :  05:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your reply. We have gleaned as much information as we can from both your recommendations. Now if only we can find more information about Eliz and Jas prior to leaving Scotland. Hoping that someone may know something about one or both families in Roxboroughshire.......
Appreciate your time. L Wood

quote:
Originally posted by springer

Hi...

Got your message.

I found this e-book that's available online, provides a history of the Argenteuil area. It contained a reference to the arrival and times of the Walkers in LaChute. Hopefully you may have some luck with it, too.

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/cyrus-thomas/history-of-the-counties-of-argenteuil-que-and-prescott-ont-from-the--goo/1-history-of-the-counties-of-argenteuil-que-and-prescott-ont-from-the--goo.shtml

There was a considerable immigration of Scots to the region circa 1830, although my paternal grandfather, near as I can tell, arrived there from England, and married a Walker at the Church of Scotland in Chatham in 1831. Link for access to their records...

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onpresco/chatham.htm

Best!
Springer

Go to Top of Page

strath

New Zealand
44 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2014 :  23:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought the names may be relations of my wife so checked it out via ScotlandsPeople website but no.
There were two James Wood born in Roxburgh in 1804 & 1805, in Yetholm & Ednam respectively. The former village is approximately 8 miles from Kelso & the latter 3 miles, so make sure you have the correct James Wood!
The James Wood born Yetholm, 2/8/1804 , parents, William Wood & Margaret Redpath. James had brothers & sisters: George b.1802, Jane b.1806, William b.1809, Christian b.1812, all born in Yetholm, Roxburghshire.
Your marr. details for James Wood & Elisabeth Riddell were spot on from the marr. OPR. “after the publication of the bans of marriage in the church of Kelso, were married here.”.
There is only one Elisabeth Riddel born in Roxburghshire between 1804-1810 so she looks correct. She was born 14/8/1808 in Kelso her parents John Riddel & Margaret Gray. Elisabeth had brothers: Andrew b.1810, John b.1812, James b.1814, Andrew b.1816 (earlier child must have died) & NO sisters found!
You will be able to research & go back from here with these families on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Or get help from www.maxwellancestry.com who I have used very successfully, in the past, to trace ancestors. Best rgds, Strath.
Go to Top of Page

L Wood

4 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2014 :  22:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Strath.
Elizabeth's birthdate is a mystery as we have July as the month but the year varies from 1806-1809. The inscription on her headstone reads......Died Feb 14 1890, aged 83 years & 8 months. Which should be 1806 as the year of her birth.? And where is the sister that has been mentioned as visiting her??
Thank you for your suggestions. L Wood
Go to Top of Page

strath

New Zealand
44 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2014 :  01:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a hunch I looked up the birth OPR of Elisabeth, 14/8/1808, Kelso.
The entry reads:
" John Riddel & Margaret Gray his wife had a daughter named Elisabeth born 12th July & baptised 14th August 1808 in the Church".
Witnesses John Hall & Andrew Brooks
So you were correct it was July!
Quite often when people are old; they or their relations get their age wrong I come across it all the time.
Incidentally the birth entry immediately preceding Elisabeth's looks to be a relation. It is dated the same day 14/8/1808 and is for a son Andrew born to John Hall & Mary Riddel. Witnesses Jas Scott & John Brooks. regards Strath Stewart
Go to Top of Page

L Wood

4 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2014 :  05:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Strath. Did you look that up on Scotland's People?
I very much appreciate you looking up the information and relaying it to me. The Hall family seem to continue to play a role in Elisabeth's life - one of the witnesses at her wedding was Isabel Hall.
Regards..Lorna W
quote:
Originally posted by strath

On a hunch I looked up the birth OPR of Elisabeth, 14/8/1808, Kelso.
The entry reads:
" John Riddel & Margaret Gray his wife had a daughter named Elisabeth born 12th July & baptised 14th August 1808 in the Church".
Witnesses John Hall & Andrew Brooks
So you were correct it was July!
Quite often when people are old; they or their relations get their age wrong I come across it all the time.
Incidentally the birth entry immediately preceding Elisabeth's looks to be a relation. It is dated the same day 14/8/1808 and is for a son Andrew born to John Hall & Mary Riddel. Witnesses Jas Scott & John Brooks. regards Strath Stewart

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000