This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Dimma/Dumma, Cessford - Berwickshire, Rosxboroughs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AilyJ

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 21 January 2014 :  01:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I am a Canadian researching a line of my family tree that I have traced back to James Dimma, b. 1788 in Sprouston, Berwiskshire and his Wife Christina Cessford b. 1792 in Lilliesleaf, Roxburghshire, Scotland. They emigrated to Canada in 1843.

I know absolutely nothing about these families or these areas, so any broad information would be of interest to me. Also, any specific information about these particular people would also be very helpful.

Thanks!

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2014 :  00:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might have found something - did they have a daugther called Helen

found a similar family in fala/soutra in census 1841

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

AilyJ

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2014 :  03:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response! Yes, they did - I have a Helen Dimma born 1826 listed. There were also five brothers that were older than the two girls.

Also, I have found someone else's family tree that has Christina Cessford's mother's name as Helen Turnbull (1770-1851) born in Bowden, Roxboroughshire and dying in Rosborough.
Go to Top of Page

eebmoc

Scotland
6 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2014 :  15:45:52  Show Profile  Send eebmoc a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Janet Dimma/Dumma born 1794 Sprouston, Roxburghshire in my family tree. She married a William Dickson (my relative) and died on
31 May 1868 in Scott Township, Ontario, Canada. I believe she is the sister of your James. I have just found more information about parents, grandparents of Janet which I have yet to check out. I am quite happy to send you all the information I have if you want to check it out yourself.

Elaine Combe
Go to Top of Page

Harry D. Watson

89 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2014 :  15:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be a useful website -

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/u/m/Shirley-I-Dumma/GENE1-0001.html

Harry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000