This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 2C Holding Lamberton
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AsHepburn

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2014 :  18:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. After two years of looking I have finally got a clue about my ancestor Violet Agnes Hepburn 1891-1983. I have been told that she lived in Lamberton but i have just found her name and address on a marriage certificate for her cousin as 2C Holding Lamberton. Please can anyone tell me if this rings any bells and explain what is meant by an address like this.
I would love to know more about her and what her life was like and this is the first real clue in ages.
Thanks
Alison

soutar59

Scotland
1 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2014 :  19:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Holdings at Lamberton were smallholdings set up after the First World War by the government to provide returning soldiers with a small holding of land to make a living. There were holdings set up all over Scotland but there was at least three sets in the area near Berwick at Lamberton, Mordington and Foulden. The holdings are just shown on the map as Mordington and many of the holdings have now been amalgamated into larger holdings. There are still all the small houses which were built at the time. If you look on a map just to the North West of Berwick upon Tweed you will see Lamberton.
Go to Top of Page

AsHepburn

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2014 :  13:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been away. Thank you for this information, I wasn't sure what to think about this address and now I have something to look into, I really appreciate it.
Alison
Go to Top of Page

AsHepburn

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2014 :  18:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I have found that I should have been looking for 20 not 2C but apart from that I am making progress with the help I have received, thank you.
I would like to know if there is any record of who the holdings went to, I have found that a few years later Violet moved into a house in Haddington that was owned by her uncle Frank S Blair who was a retired smallholder. I am working on the premise that he was the tenant on the smallholding but can't find out where to go to look for the records.
If anyone knows where I can find this information I would be very grateful
Alison
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000